Dress for the work environment or dress based on my standards?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oxfords247, Feb 11, 2012.

1. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ Note that not out-dressing means not going over the top with formality and accessories and stuff and it is not an excuse to dress poorly.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

2. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Indeed. There's a difference between looking well dressed and looking over the top.

Wearing a three piece suit in a casual IT environment where everyone's in jeans and shorts with t-shirts makes you look over the top.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

3. connor09

connor09 Senior member

Couldn't agree more. That is how I would do it.

4. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Honestly speaking, if your firm lets you wear tshirts and jeans to work and everyone else does it too why would you do otherwise? Just keep a set of business formal clothes at work for surprise meetings with outsiders and call it a day.

5. Mandres

Mandres Well-Known Member

The demands of some IT offices also make casual clothes a lot more sensible. You don't want to be crawling around on the floor, running Cat6 through dirty ceilings and squeezing through racks of servers in a 3 piece suit. If you're just writing code all day then sure, go for it, but in my experience most IT staff dress casually because there's a lot of dirty work involved.

6. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I'd rather be that guy than the other guy.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I'd wear what you want. As long as you're collegial and respectful and make it clear you don't think you're better than anyone, after a couple of weeks, people will just see you and not your clothes, which will just reinforce and attitude of respect, attention to detail, and confidence. Only if you're pretentious and condescending will the clothes serve to reinforce that.

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

That said, there are bounds even to that - but what you describe - wearing a blazer and chinos - is still easily within those bounds. If you're wearing a full "city suit" and tie when they're in tshirts it might be harder.

9. TuckerSon

TuckerSon Active Member

I'm in a similiar situation. Most of my colleagues wear sweaters but I just tend to wear dress shirts (high quality and well fitted). Usually I roll up the sleeves and sometimes I loosen the first and second button up to look a bit more casual. V-sweaters and cardigans are fine to wear but I think blazers are overdone in my envorinment. I usually wear dark jeans (without any weird stuff on it) and my shoes are just casual leather shoes since I think dress shoes are really overdone. Also I would like to wear woolen pants but I think this is overdone as well.. Sometimes I do get jaelous responses or people think I'm a bit arrogant.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

10. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

I'm in the same situation, I work for an IT department (although, I'm in finance) for a University on the west coast and there actually isn't a dress code to speak of. Most people wear jeans and a polo/t-shirt. About 3 months ago I decided that I no longer wanted to attain the status quo and started dressing up a bit. At first, almost every single person I encountered asked the same question; "When is your job interview?" and/or "Who are you interviewing with today?" Now, those questions have stopped and I mostly just get compliments. I kinda eased into it and I still don't wear a full suit. I rarely wear a sport coat because it's so damned hot in my office anyways I would just be soaked in sweat, plus I still sorta feel uncomfortable being "that guy" since everyone else still dresses a lot more casually.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

11. Oxfords247

Oxfords247 Member

Thanks for the help guys. So basically I have to find the balance that works for me.

12. benny

benny Well-Known Member

Dress appropriately for your work environment, whether the office wears jeans or suits..as long as you feel confident in yourself and the the clothes you're wearing.

13. Oxfords247

Oxfords247 Member

Very true Benny. Confidence is key to any outfit.

14. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

This ought to be the motto of every gentleman. :)

15. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

"One of us! One of us!"