1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dress for the work environment or dress based on my standards?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oxfords247, Feb 11, 2012.

1. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I'd rather be that guy than the other guy.

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'd wear what you want. As long as you're collegial and respectful and make it clear you don't think you're better than anyone, after a couple of weeks, people will just see you and not your clothes, which will just reinforce and attitude of respect, attention to detail, and confidence. Only if you're pretentious and condescending will the clothes serve to reinforce that.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

That said, there are bounds even to that - but what you describe - wearing a blazer and chinos - is still easily within those bounds. If you're wearing a full "city suit" and tie when they're in tshirts it might be harder.

4. TuckerSon

TuckerSon Active Member

I'm in a similiar situation. Most of my colleagues wear sweaters but I just tend to wear dress shirts (high quality and well fitted). Usually I roll up the sleeves and sometimes I loosen the first and second button up to look a bit more casual. V-sweaters and cardigans are fine to wear but I think blazers are overdone in my envorinment. I usually wear dark jeans (without any weird stuff on it) and my shoes are just casual leather shoes since I think dress shoes are really overdone. Also I would like to wear woolen pants but I think this is overdone as well.. Sometimes I do get jaelous responses or people think I'm a bit arrogant.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  5. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

I'm in the same situation, I work for an IT department (although, I'm in finance) for a University on the west coast and there actually isn't a dress code to speak of. Most people wear jeans and a polo/t-shirt. About 3 months ago I decided that I no longer wanted to attain the status quo and started dressing up a bit. At first, almost every single person I encountered asked the same question; "When is your job interview?" and/or "Who are you interviewing with today?" Now, those questions have stopped and I mostly just get compliments. I kinda eased into it and I still don't wear a full suit. I rarely wear a sport coat because it's so damned hot in my office anyways I would just be soaked in sweat, plus I still sorta feel uncomfortable being "that guy" since everyone else still dresses a lot more casually.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  6. Oxfords247

Oxfords247 Member

Thanks for the help guys. So basically I have to find the balance that works for me.

7. benny

benny Well-Known Member

Dress appropriately for your work environment, whether the office wears jeans or suits..as long as you feel confident in yourself and the the clothes you're wearing.

8. Oxfords247

Oxfords247 Member

Very true Benny. Confidence is key to any outfit.

9. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

This ought to be the motto of every gentleman. :)

10. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

"One of us! One of us!"

11. WindChill

WindChill Member

Appreciate the sensibility in the thoughts and advice in this thread. I'm an accountant in a law firm, but have been dedicated to an intranet project with I/T people for the last 2-3 years. The range of dress here, in either the finance or I/T dept, is perhaps a bit narrower than other industries. Mainstays are long-sleeve shirts and non-jean pants for staff, and then add on some form of jacket/suit for management, usually sans tie. I myself have varied over time from dressier (shirt/tie/jacket/fun pocket square) to less so (sweaters/pullovers). It was nice to be known for my pocket squares, but I've varied things enough that it hasn't become the one and only label for me, which is good. While I enjoy a bit of individual dash, I have to lean towards letting the people and the work products be the focus, not the clothes. If I need to get that stylistic energy out, I dress up to suit myself and go out on the town that way on my own time.

12. Jay687

Jay687 Senior member

I'd step it up, but try not to look out of place. Also, mix it up. Don't ALWAYS wear jacket and tie. Sometimes wear jeans like the others. If you can show that you're not always overdressed then it won't look as misplaced. That's how I'd do it.

But if you're not a fan of going more casual sometimes, then at the very least limit the extent of how you dress. I wouldn't go with a jacket and tie daily. I'd probably opt for sweaters, ocbd, and stuff like that... it's a bit nicer, but not excessively so.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Don't go overboard, there is no need. My brother is in this boat and I suggested he wear Oxford shirts, khakis and brogues or loafers. It works well for him.

There was definetly a time when I would over dress it, but I think now I'd probably wear only things available in 'sportswear'.

14. thompssc13

thompssc13 Member

As others have said, you dress above everyone else, but there is kind of an upper limit. Without being in your environment, we can't tell you that. If your crew is dressed in jeans and t-shirts, though, it's safe to say a suit and tie would be over the top. As long as it's not ridiculously over dressed, you can ease into it, and then be consistent. I just started an accounting internship about 4 weeks ago, and also had the "over-dressing" dilemma. The dress here is unusual, because there really is a pretty full spectrum. The lower end consists of completely casual (jeans, t-shirts, sneakers), while the upper range consists of a nice business casual (wool slacks, OCBD's, and nice loafers). One co-worker, who is only a few years older than me, though, wears a jacket a few days a week, and definitely stands out. However, no one thinks he overdresses, it's simply his style that people have come to accept. It doesn't change the fact that he certainly stands out as being well put together and therefore looks competent. During my first few weeks, I felt a little uncomfortable with the way I was dressing. I enjoy formal dress, and hate looking casual (unless I'm in jeans). My daily wardrobe consists of grey/black wool slacks (I detest chinos, way to casual IMO), a solid point collar dress shirt (muted/conservative tones, I also hate most patterned shirts), and black cap-toe shoes. It was markedly more formal than what anyone else was wearing, even my supervisor, and I felt somewhat uncomfortable. The second week I wore a tie I think twice, and received compliments on how I looked "nice", or comments of "oh, sporting a tie I see?". It was still a little uncomfortable, but by the third week it was what everyone expected of me and is now no longer noticed. I don't wear a tie every single day, just when I feel like it (usually 2-3 times a week), and never wear a jacket with it. At this point I'm confident no one sees anything into it and hardly even notices that it's more formal than what they are wearing. It's a part of my personality, to them, now.

So I think it's certainly possible to dress to your own standards, as long as you a) remain humble and don't act like you're gunning for a promotion or think you're better than anyone, b) ease into it as others have said, and then c) be consistent.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Lots of good advice here. I would say stick to one rung above the rest. You can wear some nice dark jeans or chinos. And t-shirts are fine, just avoid the low quality t-shirts with corporate logos or cartoon characters. Wear solid colored tees, and make sure the shirts fit well, not too baggy. You can throw a sport coat over the t-shirt (or a turtleneck in the fall/winter). Wear the jacket to work and throw it on a hanger while you're working. Put it on if you go out for lunch. Likewise an Oxford or sport shirt with jeans (untucked) will help you mix it up without being over the top.

Shoes are also an great way to up your style of dress. Instead of athletic shoes, think about a suede wingtip or saddle oxford. Shoes can be a subtle yet effective way of upping your look.

The jeans don't have to expensive. Think Lucky Brand or Mavi which can be had for under $100, less if you wait for a sale.

Definitely, don't step it up so much that you draw negative attention, but you can look good and stand out from the crowd without being awkward.

16. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

Better idea - start your own company. Then you wear whatever you want.........:)

17. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

^^^^ You'll make more money too . . .

18. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

+1.

19. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Golden.

In what way have your bosses been positive.

20. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

Dress how you want, but dont over dress such as wearing a suit or something. Like someone said step it up a notch, but not 2 notches.

If someone gains weight in the office dont try to gain weight with them either even if they are the boss.