• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress for Success (in 1976 )

cpac

Reaction score
interesting read.

some of the fun tidbits are:

Beige is up there with navy and grey as an acceptable suit color.

Polyester is "second best" in many things, and a cotton/poly blend shirt for most men "may be the perfect shirt."

"Colored hankerchiefs should be worn by no one."

Pink and Lavendar shirts have negative masculine associations and should never be worn.

Green should never be worn.

Purple ties should never be worn.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpac
interesting read.

Polyester is "second best" in many things, and a cotton/poly blend shirt for most men "may be the perfect shirt."

Pink and Lavendar shirts have negative masculine associations and should never be worn.

Yeah, some of the advice is good and some is laughable. I read the book about 15 years ago and still can't bring myself to wear a green shirt, lol.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting read.

Don't forget to wear your earth shoes and drive an AMC Pacer, play that funk music white boy.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
The proper position for a man's pants waist is slightly above the navel...
Are you sure this wasn't 1876?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree about purple ties and colored hanks.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a copy of that edition. How about that red, white and blue plaid blazer in the color pictures? A color-blind used car salesman wouldn't be caught dead in that!

That said, there is a lot of good information in that book; required reading for a young executive (assuming he can filter through some of the Disco-era advice).

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
And not be reminded a million times of Roger Moore looking at those long ******* collar points.
tongue.gif
Yeah, most of this information is pretty useful, but NO polyester. Ever! I can understand for the pockets of a suit or even the lining, but certainly never the actual suiting or your tie.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score

Purple ties should never be worn..

When I get a beige (tan?) suit, I will happily wear it with a shirt including stripes of purple and green, a purple tie, and a colorful pocket square.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Yeah, most of this information is pretty useful, but NO polyester. Ever!
Maybe their irrational exuberance stemmed from the novelty of the material and the hope that technology would usher in a new age of fabric possibilities. I remain optimistic about such a future and hope to live to see the day.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are such natural cloths as Alumo cottons or Lesser wools really in that much need of technological improvement?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Lesser is more.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Here I am at IAH airport at the President's Club waiting to get on a plane for West Africa. Cool I can post before I disappear for a month or so.

Molloy's book was excellent back then, and still is today. While some styles may change, what's in the book is pretty much timeless.

Some may be concerned about a Molloy uniform, where all are dressed the same, however this is a false concern since most men will not read the book or apply the principles. Those of us who do have an edge on the others.

M8

Morris

Reaction score
interesting read.

Yikes! Looks like Molloy would slap me across the face given that I violate the above rules religiously (with the exception of the Lavendar shirt).

Green is a brilliant tie color!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads