1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dress for a 'fine" dining experience in America

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kennethpollock, Jul 15, 2006.

1. quid

quid Senior member

It all adds to the over-all aura I am interested in achieving; unfortunately, more and more an impossible dream..

so why dont you open your own place if it is so impossible to find the atmosphere you are looking for. though by turning away customers not dressed in a full suit and tie you will not be open long.

2. Stax

Stax Senior member

And, of course, calling someone a name or being critical of a style of writing is no answer to an argument.

But it can win you a second term in the White House.

3. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Senior member

so why dont you open your own place if it is so impossible to find the atmosphere you are looking for. though by turning away customers not dressed in a full suit and tie you will not be open long.

Right, but if I went conformist and demanded shorts, flip-flops, caps and tank tops, I might be a big success. Maybe Comolli is right about the decline.

4. DNW

DNW Senior member

Thank you for your note. Hyperbole is a common tactic used in debate to emphasize a point. With the exception of Mr. Pollock and Nantucket Red, not a single person who has commented on my post to this discussion has offered a single fact, observation or principle which would advance the argument one way or another. It would seem that those of you who are "experienced participants in online communities" would know a bit about the Socratic method. Because you have hundreds of posts to this forum in no way means you have anything to say. And, of course, calling someone a name or being critical of a style of writing is no answer to an argument.

Ok, let me break it down for you. In your post defending Mr. Pollock, your calling him "The Great Pollock" in an attempt to give him an aura of importance is frankly patronizing. In the rest of your post, the gist of your argument is that women, by preferring and helping men choose a certain style of dress, "certainly started or furthered the decline of Western Civilization," is simply baseless that it deserves no counterargument. Your post offers nothing valuable that hasn't been said before, and its only contribution to the conversation is the new phrase "The Great Pollock," which is no more than stroking the bollock.

How is that for the Socratic method?

5. Comolli

Comolli Member

Precisely as I said. Your note proves the point. To advance a Socratic discussion, you take the proposition offered by myself or Mr. Pollock, and you put forward a fact or principle which supports or opposes one point of view or another, that is, one side of the issue or the other. It was in this way that Plato thought we could reach the truth of the matter. However, offering an opinion or merely asserting that one is incorrect without supporting it with fact, as you have done, does not advance the argument. Also, you have misunderstood me if you think I support the argument of Mr. Pollock. I don't know if he is correct or not. I would think that the forum could bring forth facts and personal observations about human conduct which would support him or contradict him. In that way I would be able to reach an informed opinion. I am disappointed this has not occurred.

6. kennethpollock

Like your friend Mr Springer, you do seem to like controversy as well as collecting freaks. Jerry has his incestuous trailer trash, you have ernest. It's really too bad he's not back on, except that recently he seemed to be going nuts with the polls. Can't you give him a job or something? Still, ernest knows what side his tartine Poulain [sic] is buttered on, and to sing for his supper.

Many of you who disagree wih KP's views about the current attire and behavior in most USA restaurants accuse him of being old-fashioned, arrogant and French-like snooty. Explain how such a characterization fits in with his apparent relationship with Jerry and E****t (banned).

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Like your friend Mr Springer, you do seem to like controversy as well as collecting freaks. Jerry has his incestuous trailer trash, you have ernest. It's really too bad he's not back on, except that recently he seemed to be going nuts with the polls. Can't you give him a job or something? Still, ernest knows what side his tartine Poulain [sic] is buttered on, and to sing for his supper.
    Now then, it's always more interesting to have a mixed circle of friends.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Many of you who disagree wih KP's views about the current attire and behavior in most USA restaurants accuse him of being old-fashioned, arrogant and French-like snooty. Explain how such a characterization fits in with his apparent relationship with Jerry and E****t (banned).
    Ken, are you talking to yourself in the third person again? [​IMG]

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

drizzt3117 feels that talking about oneself in the first person is classy.

10. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'd say that that's for you to explain, given the prescriptive attitudes towards decorum in your posts. If you want to go to a fine dining establishment with your lady, your silver wine basket and your Riedel stemware, speak French, and be surrounded by an atavistic sampling of the well-dressed and well-bred, and then go home and either watch incestuous hillbillies or some fellow who collects thrown-out TVs, Dunheel and stuffed animals, that's your affair. It's only when you post decrying the death of decorum in restaurants that you give the impression you want such decorum elsewhere in life and that yours is the only and the correct way. We don't care about your inconsistencies until you attempt to shove one or another of your split ideologies on us.

How is ernest? He's on welfare, now, right, since his unemployment ran out? Is he still buying the dunheel and the hildeetch? What began so amusingly several years ago now appears slightly sordid.

11. kennethpollock

E*****t's reply:
    "attacking me (when i can not even reply) is not the aim of the forum and that by being obsessed by me more than 6 months after I have been banned, MAKES HIM LOOK LIKE THE FREAK."

12. Matt

Matt Senior member

He's on welfare, now, right, since his unemployment ran out?
    whats the difference between welfare and unemployment benefits?

13. RJman

E*****t's reply:
    "attacking me (when i can not even reply) is not the aim of the forum and that by being obsessed by me more than 6 months after I have been banned, MAKES HIM LOOK LIKE THE FREAK."

I feel for ernest. Anyway, looks like ernest can reply. He still has a couple accounts here that haven't been shut down last I know. RJFreak, eh? I need to bring back my Rick James avatar. He was the SuperFreak.

14. Jill

Jill Senior member

M@T, I don't know how it works in France. But in the US, "Unemployment" benefits are paid from a pool into which one has contributed throughout the course of his employment. It's sometimes called "Unemployment insurance". "Welfare" on the other hand, is simply the "public dole" or "government assistance".

15. RJman

In France, if you get fired, you get unemployment benefits in the value of EIGHTY PERCENT of your former salary for a set period of time (two years or so). That's supposed to tide you over while you look for new work. After that runs out, whatever social benefits you are entitled to are, in general, much smaller since they're not a percentage of what you were earning but a set amount. Ernest's unemployment ran out last year.

--RJfre@k

16. Matt

Matt Senior member

In France, if you get fired, you get unemployment benefits in the value of EIGHTY PERCENT of your former salary for a set period of time (two years or so). That's supposed to tide you over while you look for new work. After that runs out, whatever social benefits you are entitled to are, in general, much smaller since they're not a percentage of what you were earning but a set amount. Ernest's unemployment ran out last year.

--RJfre@k

so if you were management of a major corporation then, pulling say 500k a year...you get fired for whatever reason, the govt will pay you 400k a year for two years to "tide you over"? wow - sweet. no wonder you moved. RJ, dude, get fired!

17. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Ken, are you talking to yourself in the third person again? [​IMG]

It could be that KP thought that he was posting under his Comolli login, but........ Ooooops

K

18. RJman

so if you were management of a major corporation then, pulling say 500k a year...you get fired for whatever reason, the govt will pay you 400k a year for two years to "tide you over"?

wow - sweet. no wonder you moved. RJ, dude, get fired!

I talked about the French unemployment system today with some native friends. Apparently the system is no longer this way - but 30 years ago, one could receive 90% of one's former salary as unemployment for a time. Nowadays and at least for the last ten years, unemployment benefits are 56% of the former salary earned and are "degressif" -- the percentage diminishes over time as an incentive to look for new work. After they run out (not sure how long this takes), the only benefit available is a minimum subsistence benefit of around 500 or 600 euros a month. That's just two pairs of Dunheel cufflinks.

19. minya

minya Senior member

kennethpollock is a seriously masterfull troll. I'm impressed. Hahaha. This is an incredible thread.