• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress down for informal cruise

leconnaisseur

Reaction score
As board member I have been invited to participate in the once-every-second-year company sea cruise.

As I'm not "working" in the company I'm not going to participate in any of the training and team building events...
smile.gif

I'm taking part in whatever social events I feel like. The company is a middlesized publisher and they don't have an official dresscode.

I'm certain that wearing a white dinner jacket or even a tux in this environment would flash "overdressed" in neon. Even a formal suit is likely to "provoke" some.

I'm thinking of buying a light italian suit in khaki and to wear it with a plain white shirt w/o tie and probably a pair of chocolate suede loafers and matching belt.

Would this in your opinion be a reasonable compromise.

Forgot to mention that it will take place as a 3-day trip this sommer.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will the cruise take place in the (Ant)Arctic regions, or rather in the Mediterranean or in the Bahamas?
For a Mediterranean cruise, a ligth colour linen or cotton&linen suit (or, maybe even better, odd jacket and trousers) sounds like a wonderful choice to me. Stripes are nice. As for shoes, I would choose some nice blue sneakers (I recently saw a lovely pair, I think it was by Mantellassi, together with a matching belt), as long as you do not intend to wear a tie. But that's just me.
I am not very fond of khaki, it always reminds me of Indiana Jones which is OK if you are on an archeological mission, but most tourists are not and that is why I cannot understand this preference for khaki (and for trousers having leg pockets; I haven't worn trousers with leg pockets since I finnished my military service).

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leconnaisseur
I'm thinking of buying a light italian suit in khaki and to wear it with a plain white shirt w/o tie and probably a pair of chocolate suede loafers and matching belt.

I'd prefer a blue shirt given my complexion and perhaps also using the jacket as an odd jacket paired with cotton twills, but otherwise it sounds excellent too me.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
careful here - as a board member, the middle managment of the company will be watching you carefully. you really don't want to give any bad impressions.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Light grey linen suit with an open shirt of your choice, casual shoes, sockless with a matching belt. That is what I would wear. It sounds like a cross between a business function and a vacation so I would wear something comfortable but still professional looking.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm certain that wearing a white dinner jacket or even a tux in this environment would flash "overdressed" in neon.

Tuxedo is just American English for "dinner clothes" or "dinner suit" However, if you are German, "ein Dinner Jacket" refers to a white dinner jacket and "das Smoking" refers to a black dinner jacket. Bloody confusing really! However, if there is a formal dinner/ball etc associated with the trip by all means take a white dinner jacket with you on a mediterranean cruise.

Another suggestion would be a cream coloured linen lounge suit worn with a panama hat. If you really want to you could even wear spectator shoes and a bow tie with it. Whatever you choose, avoid anything that even remotely looks like work dress.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've always thought something like a shot silk suit works for tropical enviroments.
Isn't shot silk the kind of silk that changes colour according to the viewing angle? That sounds a bit too flashy for me...
I think that linen would be more elegant. But maybe that is just because I am very fond of the linen look, which I associate with summer and places like Capri in the good old times, sipping on a campari (I have never been to Capri, though, and I was not even born in those good old times, which I guess were not too good except for a few fortunate ones).
I guess that the sneakers that I proposed in a previous post may be considered out of place by most SFers, it's just that I really like sneakers and the leather ones appeal much more to me than loafers or moccasins, which I just do not like. I prefer the way sneakers "embrace" your feet.
I associate the spectator shoes proposed by Sator with "costume" wear, but that may actually be the right thing for a cruise. Anybody knows of basically blue spectator shoes?

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Wow, the more facts left out (e.g., cruise to whereabouts?), the less relevant our advice, be warned.

You mention a white tuxedo; this is suitable for summer, especially for a tropical or equatorial cruise. According to conventional rules of dressing, you should wear at least a tuxedo only at night and if your spouse will be wearing a long gown. Otherwise, the dress code for a person of your status would probably be a dark business suit for night functions in town. But definitely you would not be in town; and, definitely, you are on a 3-day summer cruise.

The way you use the word 'formal' implies you are refering to a dark business suit as 'formal' dress. Actually, a business suit complete with tie should be regarded as an informal dress.

Your choice of a light italian suit in khaki w/o tie sounds safe enough as an smart casual dress, especially since you know most about your company. The chocolate suede loafers should make you look relaxed enough.

But during the day, you should consider other casual clothing, such as cotton polo shirts and light grey or off-white long pants. You might consider wearing shorts to participate in recreational games, or just bring along a pair just in case. If you do wear them, consider wearing boat shoes or plain sneakers without socks or with very short socks.

Perhaps you should consider this an opportunity to cultivate ties with your chairman and/or the CEO by asking them their opinion of what dress to wear, unless the cultural atmosphere is pretty repressive; or, even consult their secretaries, making them feel great. Alternatively, ask the travel agent.
bigstar[1].gif

As board member I have been invited to participate in the once-every-second-year company sea cruise.

As I'm not "working" in the company I'm not going to participate in any of the training and team building events...
smile.gif

I'm taking part in whatever social events I feel like. The company is a middlesized publisher and they don't have an official dresscode.

I'm certain that wearing a white dinner jacket or even a tux in this environment would flash "overdressed" in neon. Even a formal suit is likely to "provoke" some.

Would this in your opinion be a reasonable compromise.

Forgot to mention that it will take place as a 3-day trip this sommer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics