• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress cotton shirt without stays?

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
The consensus seems to be that cotton oxford button-down collar shirts are ok for work, but are not for evening or dressy occasions. I prefer them myself, because I absolutely detest the collar stays in cotton dress shirts. I don't wear them - ever.

So the question is: is there a quality cotton dress shirt, not button-down, that exists?

If so, I haven't found it. Please advise if there is.

Thanks in advance.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cretaceous_cretin
The consensus seems to be that cotton oxford button-down collar shirts are ok for work, but are not for evening or dressy occasions. I prefer them myself, because I absolutely detest the collar stays in cotton dress shirts. I don't wear them - ever.

So the question is: is there a quality cotton dress shirt, not button-down, that exists?

If so, I haven't found it. Please advise if there is.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you're trying to separate the water from the wet.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by azlawstudent
Just take the collar stay out...

Yeah, get shirts with removable stays then...remove them...

Nobody should be buying shirts with non-removable stays anyway, they should really be removed for washing. Removable stays also means you can replace the crappy plastic ones that they inevitably come with.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why don't you like collar stays?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Yeah, get shirts with removable stays then...remove them...

Intriguing - please explain this in greater detail.

Matt S

Reaction score
Some collars in the past were designed to be worn without any stiffeners, like Cary Grant's shirt in North By Northwest:
northbynorthwestmovietr.jpg

I know there is an online store that sells such a shirt, but I can't remember what it is. The collar interlining needs to be constructed a certain way, and removing the collar stays from your standard fused collar won't look right. It is, however, a more relaxed, less formal look that works only with point collars, not spread collars. And the points need to be fairly long. With such a collar it is customary to wear it with a collar pin or collar bar.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by azlawstudent
Just take the collar stay out...

I do take them out, and then throw them away. I don't want to fool with them. Collars should be stiff as needed without them. Just my $0.02.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Don't want to replace them, don't want them to begin with.

bjornb17

Reaction score
I do take them out, and then throw them away. I don't want to fool with them. Collars should be stiff as needed without them. Just my $0.02.

Maybe starch them heavily? Sounds like you're making a big deal out of a really small thing.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless you make the collar absolutely rock-hard then the points will still curl without stays. Honestly I don't see wtf the problem is here.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
TF that I don't like them.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TF that I don't like them.

But why don't you like them? I can't think of any reason why one would 'not like' collar stays. If you want a softer looking collar you take them out, if you want the points to stay straight you put them in, what is not to like? Is it just too much effort to put them in before wearing? If you want your collars to stay straight and sharp without stays then you're gonna have to starch them, which is going to be more effort than just using the stays. To completely prevent a collar from curling through stiffness of interfacing alone you would probably have to interface it with concrete.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
But why don't you like them? I can't think of any reason why one would 'not like' collar stays. If you want a softer looking collar you take them out, if you want the points to stay straight you put them in, what is not to like? Is it just too much effort to put them in before wearing? If you want your collars to stay straight and sharp without stays then you're gonna have to starch them, which is going to be more effort than just using the stays. To completely prevent a collar from curling through stiffness of interfacing alone you would probably have to interface it with concrete.
Too much effort. Don't want to deal with them. A nuisance. I hate the d@mned things. Button-down is fine with me, just exploring alternatives that _don't_ use collar stays.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too much effort. Don't want to deal with them. A nuisance. I hate the d@mned things. Button-down is fine with me, just exploring alternatives that _don't_ use collar stays.

It takes perhaps two seconds to insert them after ironing, and they're unnoticeable once you have the shirt on. This is a strange fixation you have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads