• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dress cotton shirt without stays?

cretaceous_cretin

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
203
Reaction score
2
The consensus seems to be that cotton oxford button-down collar shirts are ok for work, but are not for evening or dressy occasions. I prefer them myself, because I absolutely detest the collar stays in cotton dress shirts. I don't wear them - ever.

So the question is: is there a quality cotton dress shirt, not button-down, that exists?

If so, I haven't found it. Please advise if there is.

Thanks in advance.
 

bjornb17

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2010
Messages
732
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by cretaceous_cretin
The consensus seems to be that cotton oxford button-down collar shirts are ok for work, but are not for evening or dressy occasions. I prefer them myself, because I absolutely detest the collar stays in cotton dress shirts. I don't wear them - ever.

So the question is: is there a quality cotton dress shirt, not button-down, that exists?

If so, I haven't found it. Please advise if there is.

Thanks in advance.


Sounds like you're trying to separate the water from the wet.
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
135
Originally Posted by azlawstudent
Just take the collar stay out...

Yeah, get shirts with removable stays then...remove them...

Nobody should be buying shirts with non-removable stays anyway, they should really be removed for washing. Removable stays also means you can replace the crappy plastic ones that they inevitably come with.
 

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 27, 2009
Messages
15,666
Reaction score
11,227
Why don't you like collar stays?
 

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2007
Messages
6,452
Reaction score
314
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Yeah, get shirts with removable stays then...remove them...

Intriguing - please explain this in greater detail.
 

Matt S

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2009
Messages
923
Reaction score
15
Some collars in the past were designed to be worn without any stiffeners, like Cary Grant's shirt in North By Northwest:

I know there is an online store that sells such a shirt, but I can't remember what it is. The collar interlining needs to be constructed a certain way, and removing the collar stays from your standard fused collar won't look right. It is, however, a more relaxed, less formal look that works only with point collars, not spread collars. And the points need to be fairly long. With such a collar it is customary to wear it with a collar pin or collar bar.
 

cretaceous_cretin

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
203
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by azlawstudent
Just take the collar stay out...

I do take them out, and then throw them away. I don't want to fool with them. Collars should be stiff as needed without them. Just my $0.02.
 

cretaceous_cretin

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
203
Reaction score
2
Don't want to replace them, don't want them to begin with.
 

bjornb17

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2010
Messages
732
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by cretaceous_cretin
I do take them out, and then throw them away. I don't want to fool with them. Collars should be stiff as needed without them. Just my $0.02.

Maybe starch them heavily? Sounds like you're making a big deal out of a really small thing.
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
135
Originally Posted by cretaceous_cretin
I do take them out, and then throw them away. I don't want to fool with them. Collars should be stiff as needed without them. Just my $0.02.

Unless you make the collar absolutely rock-hard then the points will still curl without stays. Honestly I don't see wtf the problem is here.
 

cretaceous_cretin

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
203
Reaction score
2
TF that I don't like them.
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
135
Originally Posted by cretaceous_cretin
TF that I don't like them.

But why don't you like them? I can't think of any reason why one would 'not like' collar stays. If you want a softer looking collar you take them out, if you want the points to stay straight you put them in, what is not to like? Is it just too much effort to put them in before wearing? If you want your collars to stay straight and sharp without stays then you're gonna have to starch them, which is going to be more effort than just using the stays. To completely prevent a collar from curling through stiffness of interfacing alone you would probably have to interface it with concrete.
 

cretaceous_cretin

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
203
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
But why don't you like them? I can't think of any reason why one would 'not like' collar stays. If you want a softer looking collar you take them out, if you want the points to stay straight you put them in, what is not to like? Is it just too much effort to put them in before wearing? If you want your collars to stay straight and sharp without stays then you're gonna have to starch them, which is going to be more effort than just using the stays. To completely prevent a collar from curling through stiffness of interfacing alone you would probably have to interface it with concrete.
Too much effort. Don't want to deal with them. A nuisance. I hate the [email protected] things. Button-down is fine with me, just exploring alternatives that _don't_ use collar stays.
 

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 27, 2009
Messages
15,666
Reaction score
11,227
Originally Posted by cretaceous_cretin
Too much effort. Don't want to deal with them. A nuisance. I hate the [email protected] things. Button-down is fine with me, just exploring alternatives that _don't_ use collar stays.

It takes perhaps two seconds to insert them after ironing, and they're unnoticeable once you have the shirt on. This is a strange fixation you have.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,408
Messages
9,446,803
Members
197,963
Latest member
SandrioKent
Top