• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dress corduroy pants

samnc

Reaction score
I had a notion recently of picking up a pair of dress corduroy pants as I saw a few that looked good in a catalog, but I am not certain if this is a good idea or not. I recently got three pairs of "casual" cords from Costco (brand is Lucky Brand) at a cost of $30 each, and my impression is they are probably slightly less formal than chinos, so OK for casual Friday at work, but not for M-Th.

Can a 34 year old professional who works for a unit of local govt (i.e. not overly formal office) wear dress cords? I never saw them in person..do they look like the more casual corduorys I am used to, or do they look more like dress slacks? If you think i can get by with wearing it, what should be the proper wale? Does getting too high a wale [like 18] defeat the purpose of corduroy pants you think?

Finally, if I get a pair of corduroy dress pants and get a cord sports coat, is it OK if the wale count is different?

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some dress cords from Lands End. They have several wale counts - from 8 to 18 I think, so you can pick your preference. The Lands End cords I have have the seam front pockets and button through rear pockets like dress slacks. The more casual cords I have seen have the patch rear pockets (like jeans) and slash front pockets.

I wear my Lands End cords to work where we are business casual (wool slacks, no tie, sport coat, etc.) and they are fine.

I personally wouldn't do cords slacks and a cord jacket - just my personal opinion. However, the sales person at my local menswear / shoe store is much more fashion forward than I am and he has a cord suit. It looks great on him as he's tall, thin, and mid 30's. So you may be able to do the cord slacks / cord jacket look.

Chris

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear cords with a cord sportcoat - wear something else with some kind of texture like tweed or a loose weave wool.

I've seen cord suits looking pretty great but I'm not too sure about how separates would look - being able to play around with different textures is probably my favourite thing with fall/winter dressing. Though I suppose differing whale counts is a different texture but you could end up looking a little 'fluffy'.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try Polo RL "Preston". If you search you can find them cheaper that the ones on this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-SEASON...3?pt=US_CSA_MC_Pants&var=&hash=item1c29050d51

samnc

Reaction score
any suggestion for the wale count? Or is it strictly personal preference?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Inker19

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Perry Ellis chocolate brown cords at a thrift store. The wale is very thin and they feel almost like velvet. I have been wearing them with a sportcoat in occasions when I'm bored with jeans.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a trip to Toronto probably 30 years ago, I saw wool
corduroy trousers.I do not remember the name of the shop which had tweedy "outdoorsy"clothes and have never seen wool corduroys since. Are they available? From whom?

Last edited:

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
On a trip to Toronto probably 30 years ago, I saw wool corduroy trousers.
I do not remember the name of the shop which had tweedy "outdoorsy"
clothes and have never seen wool corduroys since. Are they available?
From whom?

O'Connell's has a few pairs. Just look under plain front corduroy.

I have a pair of wool corduroys made by Samuelsohn in a Loro Piana Zealander wool (the O'Connell's might be as well based on their description). I got them NWT from EBay for maybe 20 bucks when I was first getting into clothes (the seller thought they were damaged for some reason). They are unique to say the least. They are very comfortable and fairly warm. They are kind of like pajama pants but much heavier. They hang well because of their weight and complete lack of stiffness but could never hold a crease or a wrinkle. I only rarely wear mine outside the house partly because the color isn't great (dark brown), but they are very comfortable for lounging around and an incredible pet hair magnet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads