dress corduorys?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by samnc, Nov 26, 2012.

1. samnc

samnc Well-Known Member

I saw some dress corduorys on sale at Lands End...but, I am not really certain how they are diffrent from regular corduroys that we have come to known and love.

Although I might be able to get away with it, I cant see myself wearing dress cords with a shirt and tie...but I do like the 10 wale style of them.

Any ideas why they are "dress" cords? What do cotton dress cords have that are different from the regular style cords? They are all 100% cotton.

2. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

There is no such thing as "dress cords". Corduroy is an inherently "country" (as opposed to "city" -- see Vox's coherence thread for details) cloth. It is, therefore, by definition, informal. But this means informal in its most traditional sense. You can certainly wear a tie with an ensemble that features corduroy, even a corduroy jacket.

Having said that, I imagine the Land's End people are contrasting "dress" cords with cargo shorts and flip flops. Most people, especially in the States, would look at you like you had grown another head if you tried to explain to them that corduroy pants were actually informal.

3. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

lol @ "dress cords." See above.

4. chogall

chogall Senior member

compare to jeans, shorts, cargo pants, sweatpants, stone washed khakis, cords are dressy.

5. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

+1

Also, cords with thin wales are considered "dressier" than wide wale corduroy .

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  6. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Member

More wales per inch, like 16 and over, is dressier and approaches velvet in look and feel.

7. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

That's not the issue that OP raised. OP suggested that there was a regular cord and a dress cord, which I lol'ed at.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  8. chogall

chogall Senior member

did you then also lol'ed on the idea of a dress chino vs. casual chino and workwear chino? or the idea of a dress suit vs. casual suit?

9. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

dress chino: yes. dress suit: no.

10. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I think the idea is to distinguish between the five-pocket (jean style) cords from the ones that are cut like chinos (fancy dress pants!).