• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress code: "Noble House" ??!

Jumme

Reaction score
Hello, sorry if this question was previously asked and answered.

Having received a wedding invitation containing the dress code "Noble House", I have tried to google what that means, but nothing comes up.

Any help?! Thanks

(Please excuse english not being my first language. I live in Denmark/Europe.)

paxonus

Reaction score
The only Noble House I know of is the book by James Clavell. No idea what that might have to do with a dress code.

Jumme

Reaction score
Will ask the host if no immenent solution or reply here.

But I’m considering asking the host a last resort not to stand out as an ignorant, as I dont know either hosts very well.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Noble house” is not a standard dress code that I’ve ever heard of. For all I know it could be a costume party. I would also recommend asking the hosts. If you are that uncomfortable asking, how about asking someone else going to the party who knows the hosts better?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Presumably the invitation suggests “attire” and not an actual “dress code,” which is what we had (and endlessly conspired to break) in my Catholic elementary school. That said, the bride and groom have indeed dropped an inscrutable code on their befuddled guests. Time was when hosts endeavored to make their guests feel comfortable, not anxious and clueless. That was around the time Sister Madonna caned me for wearing orange socks to Mass.

Jumme

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I threw in the towel and asked the host, since wedding is held at a mansion and i didnt wanna bring the wrong attire.

Turns out her husband ‘invented’ this himself, which exactly already left several guest clueless and uncoftable.
Thanks for your answers.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I threw in the towel and asked the host, since wedding is held at a mansion and I didn't want to bring the wrong attire.

Turns out her husband ‘invented’ this himself, which exactly already left several guests clueless and uncomfortable.

I’m curious now, what does the groom to be mean? Can you enlighten us? :nodding:

blueberry7

Reaction score
My guess would be that he meant the TV series Noble House from the late 80s, starring Pierce Brosnan.

Jumme

Reaction score
I’m curious now, what does the groom to be mean? Can you enlighten us? :nodding:

I spoke with the wife but not husbond, who quoted him “you could basically wear anything that looks stylist, formal or ‘noble’ - except tux.”

To be fair, wedding invitation DID say : “Dress Code : Noble House (no tux).” :tongue:

Jumme

Reaction score
Doesn’t sound very noble if you can’t wear a tux. :confused:
You could argue.

Host argument is that he’s not wearing one, and doesnt want guests to dress fancier than him.
Sounds logic.

jaxenro

Reaction score
BE2424C4-7CDE-4E03-86D2-4AE5FCBD2BEE.jpeg
So a peers robe and coronet works

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads