• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress boots and winter salt.

tigerpac

Reaction score
For shell boots - absolutely.

moltoelegante

Reaction score
You can minimize absorption of the salt water by keeping the leather well oiled/waxed. Wash off the salty residue with a water/vinegar mix, allow boots to dry, then apply more mink oil/wax.

Result (on my Barker boots):

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can minimize absorption of the salt water by keeping the leather well oiled/waxed. Wash off the salty residue with a water/vinegar mix, allow boots to dry, then apply more mink oil/wax.

Result (on my Barker boots):

View attachment 1292620
I spoke to a cobbler about this exact issue today - I’m often out for meetings so wearing rubber overshoes isn’t really an option with nowhere to toss them and cleaning them once I get where I’m going, outside of running to the bathroom and grabbing some paper towels, isn’t a great option either. He suggested the water vinegar mix BUT with a drop of clear dish soap added and then reapplying some wax or mink oil at the end of the day. 60% water, 40% white vinegar mix and a drop of soap.

moltoelegante

Reaction score
You reapply mink oil each time you wear your boots?

Not every time that I wear them but every time that I scrub them clean with vinegar water. It could be 2 or 3 times a week at the worst time of year when you are forced to walk around in an inch of salty slush. (This was when living in Kiev in winter, no such issues in southern Italy ;) )

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics