• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress belt width preferences?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a Sutor belt on STP with a width of 1.5 inches, which I intended to use primarily with dress trousers. Kind of looks wide though. So I'm deciding whether to return it or not. What are your preferences for belt width for dress trousers? It's actually surprising the difference a 1/4" can make from making it look dressy to more casual.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think 1.25" is maximum for a "dressy" belt. Usually they run between 1" and 1.25". I find the 1" too thin and 1.25" just right. 1.5" is too casual for my taste.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I think 1.25" is maximum for a "dressy" belt. Usually they run between 1" and 1.25". I find the 1" too thin and 1.25" just right. 1.5" is too casual for my taste.
That's what I've noticed over the last two years with my clients. Many still prefer the one inch. The one and a quarter is running a strong second. One and a half is worn with jeans etc.

andyw

Reaction score
1.25" just the right presence.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
1.25" just the right presence.

I think you're right. The belt actually measures 1 3/8 inches, but it does look much wider than my 1 1/4". Belts just might go back.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

+1 Although, I don't personally find the 1" too thin.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that 1.25" looks good with just all dress pants. I have one or two 1" belts that look nice with my skinnier pants. 1.5" says jeans or other casual pants to me.

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
+2

but I say 1.25" is about perfect, any less is too little, and much more it too wide.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wish someone would make a belt inbetween 1 and 1.25, a 1.125 if i must say, i think that would be perfect

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the dress belt i'm currently wearing (an 5-7 year old RL chaps belt that's held up surprisingly well) measures at 1 1/8, so you can probably find something that splits the difference.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.25 is my preference overall. I have a 1-inch dress belt I like, though. I think it depends on the definition of "dress". With a suit, I have no problem with the 1-inch belt. With a sportcoat and odd trousers, I think 1.25 is best. Thicker materials probably need a thicker belt. A tweed suit, for instance, might look out of balance with a 1-inch belt.

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
I think your body type plays a role too. I am 6' 195lbs and a drop 8. I think a 1" belt looks silly on me as I am a bigger guy.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else here old enough to remember the fashion trend in the late '50s and early '60s for extremely narrow belts? As I remember the damn things were only about a half-inch wide. Never like them.

For many years, one-inch belts seemed to be the norm. I never thought they looked silly one me, even though I'm a good deal bigger than jeff in vancouver.

I like the 1 1/4-inch width the best. It has the added virtue, if you're into packing a sidearm, that you can support a pretty adequate gun with good comfort on a sturdy 1 1/4-inch belt.

Anything wider than 1 1/4 is pretty much for jeans, cargoes and such. Most dress slacks and even a lot of cheap khakis don't have belt loops that will accommodate belts much wider than 1 1/4 inches.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Hi JL - I remember those narrow belts from the 50's - I probably wore the silly things with blue suede shoes. Got rid of them and switched to loafers, grey trousers, and a sorta tweed jacket with a knit tie - think I was trying to pattern my dress after Jack Web in Dragnet.

After I got out of the Army, I found some men's stores in Westwood, Calif. that sold what we now call Trad and have never changed. The only errors I have made since then is switching back and forth from narrow to wide ties. Now I just buy them in a middle width and ignore whatever is in fashion.

I agree with you and others about belts being right at 1 1/4 inches although I am finally finding that braces are more comfortable with a suit.

Cheers, Jim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads