• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress advice and ideas regarding a traditional English garden party

Torrente

Reaction score
Dear all,

I have been invited to a ''Midsummer Garden Party'' at a UK Embassy marking the official birthday of HM Queen Elizabeth. It’s an evening party starting at 18.30 hours.

The dress code is ‘’lounge suit or appropriate for a traditional garden party’’. Please note that the temperature here is around 25 C.

The invite also states that imaginative dress is encouraged. The theme is British summer events such as Wimbledon Tennis, Cowes sailing regatta, Henley rowing regatta, Ascot races or cricket at Lord's.

I have some ideas on what to wear if going conservative, but no ideas regarding the theme.

So, all proposals are very welcome. Humor and jokes are also very much encouraged
bigstar[1].gif

Please dear gentlemen help me out a bit.

Kind regards.

Torrente

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a bit of humour, try and odd waistcoat. Pale yellow linen DB, say.

Never been to a British event like this, but equivalent events (e.g. St Francis' day) at Italian embassies even in major capitals tend to be a real hodgepodge of people.

Happenstance

Reaction score
Blue blazer, white shirt, striped tie, light-coloured trousers, panama.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wear a straw boater not a panama. Panama's are nice, but a straw boater is more Cowes/Henley.

- Remember if you are going with a lady friend to remind her no stilettos/pointy high heels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads