• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dreamweaver Learning Curve?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I haven't made a website in several years and want to get back to practicing my HTML, plus learn a few new skills. What is the learning curve to get a decent to solid foundation of Dreamweaver?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DW is one of those programs which is as complicated as you make it. A a basic HTML editor its great, once you start moving into CSS its tougher. MySQL and server-side databases are a no-go.

Naturally I would never condone breaking the law, but I would advise against paying retail until you're up to speed. You may find it does too much to be of use (like Photoshop CS5) or isn't quite right for the tasks you're after (like InDesign or Bridge)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I have the full CS5 Master Suite, and I already am very proficient with InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.

I used to edit HTML many, many years ago, but never CSS or Flash, etc... I want to make a personal website (which would have but a few simple pages in an elegant layout), and last night I found a website whose basic idea is what I want to mimic. So, I copied the source code into Dreamweaver to see how it is put together and it was too complex for me. I mean I could edit headers, and pictures, but there was integration of various code that was too advanced for me current knowledge.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest if you're already good with InDesign and Photoshop then you should be able to get your head around DW in a few weeks.

It has the (dis?)advantage of allowing you to make up pages in an almost MS Word-based screen on one side while constructing the code in the other. It means that you can hybrid you skills, tackling the code where you are comfortable but having it automate bits you're unsure of.

Coders and web developers consider this horrific, as you don't have any code-based disciplines, and it can turn into a mangled web of inelegant HTML/CSS design. On the other hand you'll have your website looking and acting like you want it to.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
To be honest if you're already good with InDesign and Photoshop then you should be able to get your head around DW in a few weeks.

It has the (dis?)advantage of allowing you to make up pages in an almost MS Word-based screen on one side while constructing the code in the other. It means that you can hybrid you skills, tackling the code where you are comfortable but having it automate bits you're unsure of.

Coders and web developers consider this horrific, as you don't have any code-based disciplines, and it can turn into a mangled web of inelegant HTML/CSS design. On the other hand you'll have your website looking and acting like you want it to.

I sent you a PM with the website layout I would like to mimic and a question.

olstudios

Reaction score
How complicated is the website that you are looking to mimic?

Like Blackhood said, it shouldn't be to hard coming from other adobe products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads