• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dream Team v.s The Redeam Team

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who'd win, I say DT by a bit, but it would be a good game. I think Barkley and Magic's superiority over Melo and CP3 gives them the edge.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would be close for 3 quarters.
DT would pull away in the 4th.
Possibly a double-digit victory though.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a side note, doesn't seeing CLaettner's name on the DT make you laugh?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
On a side note, doesn't seeing CLaettner's name on the DT make you laugh?

LOL.. I forgot about that. Over Shaq at that.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say Dream Team would win, but it would be a good game.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dream Team would probably win a seven game series 4-2.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think DT wins 5 games out of six. That team was ridiculous. Think about it: Jordan, Magic, Barkley, Larry effing Bird, Ewing, Pippen, Stockton and Malone, David Robinson, Clyde Drexler, and Chris Mullin. Please name exactly one player on the this year's team that is better than his counterpart (as in starter vs. starter, backup vs. backup) on the DT. The starting five could be Magic (best PG of all time), Jordan (best SG of all time, and best ever period), Bird (best SF of all time), Malone (best ever PF before Duncan came along), and you get to choose between Ewing and the Admiral at center. And EVERY single one of their backups are HOFers (I am going to ignore Laettner's presence here). This team has a ton of young talent, and Lebron and Kobe might have their names mentioned in the conversation with Magic and Jordan one day, but come on. The Dream Team had probably 3 of the best 5 players of all time. And they had Jordan in his prime. That team is going to win, regularly.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I think DT wins 5 games out of six. That team was ridiculous.

Think about it: Jordan, Magic, Barkley, Larry effing Bird, Ewing, Pippen, Stockton and Malone, David Robinson, Clyde Drexler, and Chris Mullin. Please name exactly one player on the this year's team that is better than his counterpart (as in starter vs. starter, backup vs. backup) on the DT. The starting five could be Magic (best PG of all time), Jordan (best SG of all time, and best ever period), Bird (best SF of all time), Malone (best ever PF before Duncan came along), and you get to choose between Ewing and the Admiral at center. And EVERY single one of their backups are HOFers.

This team has a ton of young talent, and Lebron and Kobe might have their names mentioned in the conversation with Magic and Jordan one day, but come on. The Dream Team had probably 3 of the best 5 players of all time. And they had Jordan in his prime. That team is going to win, regularly.

Lebron is better than Pippen and Bird.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Not better than Bird, yet. Guy won 3 consecutive league MVPs. OK, maybe he is better right now than Bird was in '92 with a terrible back. As for Pippen, Lebron is the better overall player because of his athleticism. Honestly it's tough to say who I'd rather have on a team that was stacked with great offensive players elsewhere. Pippen was an ace perimeter defender, Lebron has some work to do in that area. Pippen also averaged 21, 8, and 7 that year. He didn't score like Lebron, but he had MJ on his team, who would have?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not better than Bird, yet. Guy won 3 consecutive league MVPs. OK, maybe he is better right now than Bird was in '92 with a terrible back. As for Pippen, Lebron is the better overall player because of his athleticism. Honestly it's tough to say who I'd rather have on a team that was stacked with great offensive players elsewhere. Pippen was an ace perimeter defender, Lebron has some work to do in that area. Pippen also averaged 21, 8, and 7 that year. He didn't score like Lebron, but he had MJ on his team, who would have?

Bird was great but in this era I'm not sure he'd compete as well, athleticism is more important. Pippen was pretty good but was nothing near a leader remember Kukoc taking the last shot. Pipen did badly against strong SFs Dominique average 33 points against him to his 18 if I remember the basketball card right. Could you imagine Bird trying to defend Lebron? What would he do?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bird was great but in this era I'm not sure he'd compete as well, athleticism is more important. Pippen was pretty good but was nothing near a leader remember Kukoc taking the last shot. Pipen did badly against strong SFs Dominique average 33 points against him to his 18 if I remember the basketball card right. Could you imagine Bird trying to defend Lebron? What would he do?

Well, on the DT I'm sure they can find a few leaders. Pippen's Bulls did pretty well in the year MJ was away, they just didn't get to the Finals. He was the only great player on that team. I remember Kukoc taking the last shot, and Pippen was so mad he wasn't given the shot that he wouldn't go back in the game. It was selfish and immature, yes, but he did want the ball in crunch time.

How would Bird defend Lebron? I don't know...make him shoot jumpers? Guide him towards Ewing? Bird was unatheltic, but he was as smart a basketball player as there probably ever was. He was a decent shot blocker and he was pretty strong, and he's as tall as Lebron. I don't think it be as lopsided as you think in the context of 5 on 5 basketball. Lebron has struggled against great team defense in the past, and Bird did play good team defense, he just wasn't athletic enough to really shut anybody down one-on-one. On the flipside, how would Lebron defend Bird?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, on the DT I'm sure they can find a few leaders. Pippen's Bulls did pretty well in the year MJ was away, they just didn't get to the Finals. He was the only great player on that team. I remember Kukoc taking the last shot, and Pippen was so mad he wasn't given the shot that he wouldn't go back in the game. It was selfish and immature, yes, but he did want the ball in crunch time.

How would Bird defend Lebron? I don't know...make him shoot jumpers? Guide him towards Ewing? Bird was unatheltic, but he was as smart a basketball player as there probably ever was. He was a decent shot blocker and he was pretty strong, and he's as tall as Lebron. I don't think it be as lopsided as you think in the context of 5 on 5 basketball. Lebron has struggled against great team defense in the past, and Bird did play good team defense, he just wasn't athletic enough to really shut anybody down one-on-one. On the flipside, how would Lebron defend Bird?

Pippen a great player? He was good very good but he wasn't great he could never dominate a game.
I think Lebron is so much faster and stronger than Bird, Bird couldn't do anything but pray. I feel people tend to overrate players from that era.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Bird may not have been great individually, but other than Jordan, no one made their teammates better players and I can't think of anyone, other than Jordan again, that I would want with the balll in their hands with the game on the line. And that include Lebron, Kobe etc. Bird would find a way to win, whether he did it or he set someone else up. Today's guys would want te win and glory for themselves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics