• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dream City To Live In

YOLO EMSHI

Reaction score
I like Sydney too. I would live there if I had a billion dollars, maybe, only because I'd want to live someplace with one of those amazing postcard views of the harbour.

Harbour houses in Sydney are butt ******* ugly with the exception of the old mercantile manors. Decent apartments can be had at 'okay' prices though.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Harbour houses in Sydney are butt ******* ugly with the exception of the old mercantile manors. Decent apartments can be had at 'okay' prices though.

The ones I've seen while browsing the real estate sites are pretty nice looking, at least some of them. We're talking big big money places, Australia's most expensive homes most likely. I don't know if they're really worth anywhere near their asking prices, but view considered and all that, they're not that expensive... would probably prefer a modern high-rise penthouse to a low old house in that area. I like rain, but prefer to be really cocooned behind glass and all that. Sydney, the city, might bore me to death though. Really can't imagine what I'd do there if I could afford to live well, and had my lifetime at my disposal - I suppose I'd pick up surfing and all that, and entertain friends at home, take trips to see the country, but I really don't know what I'd do in Australia besides eating, drinking, *******, and breathing.
I miss living in Australia, but still haven't made it back as an adult, just not big on excitement for me to go all the way down there. Incredibly beautiful, but a little empty and boring for me. I'm waiting til I get sick of living in these mega 20-30m+ cities.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Paris
London
Stockholm
Antwerp
Tokyo
New York

I could do all of those. Don't know for how long, though. I might even feel inclined to add Chicago there if I was feeling really open minded. I would add Hong Kong, if I were to live well, but would probably get sick of such a small place.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love Chicago and I will always have a place in my heart for that city but I just could not live there forever. The winters are B-R-U-T-A-L.

Oh, another city I'd love to live in is Fukuoka, Japan.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's cray, my wife is from Fukuoka and my in laws live there, but I've never been, don't know if I'll go anytime soon. I hear really good things, but along the lines of of 'the ramen is so good!' 'they have Korean food there!' etc - in reality though, it's probably an awesome city to live in, as you get a bunch of cosmopolitan/urban Japanese lifestyle without having to pay inflated central Tokyo prices, and Fukuoka is probably a better harbor/seaside town than Tokyo could ever dream of. Nagoya and Fukuoka, those are probably the big winners in Japan.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the problem with Australia is that it's so far away from everything else, if you're a traveler.

Asia outside of Japan and maybe Seoul sounds exotic and exciting, but can actually be quite miserable for people (weather, traffic, smog and state of development would be the most common complaints)

YOLO EMSHI

Reaction score
The ones I've seen while browsing the real estate sites are pretty nice looking, at least some of them. We're talking big big money places, Australia's most expensive homes most likely. I don't know if they're really worth anywhere near their asking prices, but view considered and all that, they're not that expensive... would probably prefer a modern high-rise penthouse to a low old house in that area. I like rain, but prefer to be really cocooned behind glass and all that. Sydney, the city, might bore me to death though. Really can't imagine what I'd do there if I could afford to live well, and had my lifetime at my disposal - I suppose I'd pick up surfing and all that, and entertain friends at home, take trips to see the country, but I really don't know what I'd do in Australia besides eating, drinking, *******, and breathing.
I miss living in Australia, but still haven't made it back as an adult, just not big on excitement for me to go all the way down there. Incredibly beautiful, but a little empty and boring for me. I'm waiting til I get sick of living in these mega 20-30m+ cities.

I don't know how baller you can get but decent apartments with great views can be had for 1 mil-2 mil in Walsh Bay (Theatre/dance district), Potts Point ('Paris district' right next to Botanic Gardens), Dawes Point, and Pyrmont.

The best bang for your buck however has to be here http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/Apartment-Unit-Flat/NSW/Sydney/?adid=2009766325 since it is literally in the harbour.

It's true that Sydney (at least the conservative business dress) is really a place for the 35+ but there's a lot in the inner city that makes up for it, not that different from Williamsburg/Bed-Stuy.

YOLO EMSHI

Reaction score
the problem with Australia is that it's so far away from everything else, if you're a traveler.
Asia outside of Japan and maybe Seoul sounds exotic and exciting, but can actually be quite miserable for people (weather, traffic, smog and state of development would be the most common complaints)
Ain't that the truth. It takes about a day by air to get to most places in North America/Europe.

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
Some place where it rarely gets above 70 Fahrenheit and sunshine is limited.

Satorialist

Reaction score
Tokyo;
Shanghai;
Hong Kong;

One of those mega-metropolises.

If Stateside;
South Florida -- especially if I own a private airplane (I don't. But maybe one day, right?), fantastic flying weather and airport convenience;

If Europe;
The usual suspects from Germany/Austria/Switzerland or Sweden.

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Istanbul would love to live in a historically significant city
Barcelona or somewhere in Costa Brava
Quintana Roo, Mexico
São Paulo, Brazil
London

In US
San Francisco
LA

CodyNC

Reaction score
Of my limited travels I like Reykjavik and Manchester, both suit me but are not for everyone

rclark

Reaction score
Inspired by why NYC sucks.
Economics aside what would be your dream city to live in? Provide reasons why it is your dream city if you are so inclined.
I'm in Victoria, Canada right now and love it - very similar to Vancouver, but smaller and cozier feeling.
New York City (obvious reasons!)
London (probably my favourite international destination)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads