Dream City To Live In

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Aug 27, 2012.

1. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

Harbour houses in Sydney are butt fucking ugly with the exception of the old mercantile manors. Decent apartments can be had at 'okay' prices though.

2. click here

click here Senior member

Paris
    London
    Stockholm
    Antwerp
    Tokyo
    New York

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The ones I've seen while browsing the real estate sites are pretty nice looking, at least some of them. We're talking big big money places, Australia's most expensive homes most likely. I don't know if they're really worth anywhere near their asking prices, but view considered and all that, they're not that expensive... would probably prefer a modern high-rise penthouse to a low old house in that area. I like rain, but prefer to be really cocooned behind glass and all that. Sydney, the city, might bore me to death though. Really can't imagine what I'd do there if I could afford to live well, and had my lifetime at my disposal - I suppose I'd pick up surfing and all that, and entertain friends at home, take trips to see the country, but I really don't know what I'd do in Australia besides eating, drinking, fucking, and breathing.
    I miss living in Australia, but still haven't made it back as an adult, just not big on excitement for me to go all the way down there. Incredibly beautiful, but a little empty and boring for me. I'm waiting til I get sick of living in these mega 20-30m+ cities.

4. impolyt_one

I could do all of those. Don't know for how long, though. I might even feel inclined to add Chicago there if I was feeling really open minded. I would add Hong Kong, if I were to live well, but would probably get sick of such a small place.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I love Chicago and I will always have a place in my heart for that city but I just could not live there forever. The winters are B-R-U-T-A-L.

Oh, another city I'd love to live in is Fukuoka, Japan.

6. impolyt_one

That's cray, my wife is from Fukuoka and my in laws live there, but I've never been, don't know if I'll go anytime soon. I hear really good things, but along the lines of of 'the ramen is so good!' 'they have Korean food there!' etc - in reality though, it's probably an awesome city to live in, as you get a bunch of cosmopolitan/urban Japanese lifestyle without having to pay inflated central Tokyo prices, and Fukuoka is probably a better harbor/seaside town than Tokyo could ever dream of. Nagoya and Fukuoka, those are probably the big winners in Japan.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Baltimore.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

the problem with Australia is that it's so far away from everything else, if you're a traveler.

Asia outside of Japan and maybe Seoul sounds exotic and exciting, but can actually be quite miserable for people (weather, traffic, smog and state of development would be the most common complaints)

9. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

I don't know how baller you can get but decent apartments with great views can be had for 1 mil-2 mil in Walsh Bay (Theatre/dance district), Potts Point ('Paris district' right next to Botanic Gardens), Dawes Point, and Pyrmont.

The best bang for your buck however has to be here http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/Apartment-Unit-Flat/NSW/Sydney/?adid=2009766325 since it is literally in the harbour.

It's true that Sydney (at least the CBD) is really a place for the 35+ but there's a lot in the inner city that makes up for it, not that different from Williamsburg/Bed-Stuy.

10. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

Ain't that the truth. It takes about a day by air to get to most places in North America/Europe.

11. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Active Member

Some place where it rarely gets above 70 Fahrenheit and sunshine is limited.

12. Satorialist

Satorialist Senior member

Tokyo;
    Shanghai;
    Hong Kong;

One of those mega-metropolises.

If Stateside;
    South Florida -- especially if I own a private airplane (I don't. But maybe one day, right?), fantastic flying weather and airport convenience;

If Europe;
    The usual suspects from Germany/Austria/Switzerland or Sweden.

13. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Istanbul would love to live in a historically significant city
    Barcelona or somewhere in Costa Brava
    Quintana Roo, Mexico
    São Paulo, Brazil
    London

In US
    San Francisco
    LA

14. CodyNC

CodyNC Well-Known Member

Of my limited travels I like Reykjavik and Manchester, both suit me but are not for everyone

15. rclark

rclark Active Member

I'm in Victoria, Canada right now and love it - very similar to Vancouver, but smaller and cozier feeling.
    New York City (obvious reasons!)
    London (probably my favourite international destination)