• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drape tutorial?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Maybe it is because I am built like a twig, but I would have thought that significant waist suppression would require some fullness to the hip. If I wanted, I could wear a very slim sack that made me look like a column -- no flare at all.

Perhaps trim in this case is a relative term?

What I like is a hip that is narrower than the chest. On really big, egg-shaped dude, this is impossible. But on a lot of guys it is possible, and looks great. I don't like the double-legged martini glass -- V-shaped chest, H-shaped abdomen -- so rather than that, I would prefer to see the skirt expand from the waist, so long as it cups back in again at the bottom.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
What I like is a hip that is narrower than the chest. On really big, egg-shaped dude, this is impossible. But on a lot of guys it is possible, and looks great. I don't like the double-legged martini glass -- V-shaped chest, H-shaped abdomen -- so rather than that, I would prefer to see the skirt expand from the waist, so long as it cups back in again at the bottom.

I like what you like, only I don't like it to cup.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
manton, you never listen to me in these matters, but I think you should cut Sator some slack.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like what you like, only I don't like it to cup.

Well, then, you might as well go to Huntsman, you philistine.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pardon the interruption, but would the hip on Jeffrey's coat be called trim? I would not have thought so. I would have thought a trim hip would be more columnar, though perhaps I am misunderstanding the term.

Let me make clear I'm not attempting to wade into the dispute over the definition of drape. Perhaps this is a bad point to place this post, but there we go.

You guys are killing me.

I was blessed with what my sister calls "child-bearing hips". My usual habit is to build up the shoulders of my suits to disguise this. It would appear that a bit of drape could maybe also have the same effect. (okay, that really did hurt)

The waist is nowhere near as cinched as it is on my POW suit or the flannel ones but the swelled chest makes it look like it is.

May I add that I have been particularly diligent in the gym of late and this may be contributing to some of the dysmorphia.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
manton, you never listen to me in these matters, but I think you should cut Sator some slack.

I have tried my best to talk with him in a friendly way over the years. I was even amused by his turn to militancy a while back. But his recent BS was just too much.

As I have said, I don't care if people don't like drape, or don't like what I wear. But Sator seems to feel the need too construct definitions that are A) false and B) make these preferences seem a priori illegitimate.

I realize how puny are the stakes, but if we are trying to (among other things) present the truth to curious, interested observers, junk like that should not be allowed to stand.

If I were correcting someone on egullet who hated recipe X, and rather than leave it at that, proceeded to falsley define one of the ingredients as battery sludge, would you say I was out of line?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
You guys are killing me.

I was blessed with what my sister calls "child-bearing hips". My usual habit is to build up the shoulders of my suits to disguise this. It would appear that a bit of drape could maybe also have the same effect. (okay, that really did hurt)

The waist is nowhere near as cinched as it is on my POW suit or the flannel ones but the swelled chest makes it look like it is.

May I add that I have been particularly diligent in the gym of late and this may be contributing to some of the dysmorphia.

Sorry. If it is any consolation, lately I have been packing on pounds, thus increasing the junk in my trunk.

It is a testament that the coat is cut such that I assumed the effect was a deliberate bit of tailoring trickery. But I would note that your coat looks similar to the other drape coats pictured in the thread. None, as far as I can recall, has what I would consider a very trim hip.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You guys are killing me.

I actually thing the PoW coat makes you look slimmer, but I still like the drape coat a lot more,

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, then, you might as well go to Huntsman, you philistine.

inlove.gif

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3304454333_3fc327d972_o.jpg
3304454377_8afdabbc2c_o.jpg

Masculine - swelled chest
also Masculine - structured shoulders
Feminine - hourglass skirt

Somewhere in there is a fit that maximizes masculinity and minimizes femininity, without being too formal or casual looking. I will keep reading.

If they started swooping at the waist button and ended up in the same place it might look more "normal" to us . . .

. . . then I might see both J's waistband and his shirt peeking out?

- M

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry. If it is any consolation, lately I have been packing on pounds, thus increasing the junk in my trunk.

It's okay. My sister got them too, which you might have seen had Alden not deleted that forum.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Masculine - swelled chest
also Masculine - structured shoulders
Feminine - hourglass skirt

- M

Structured shoulders? There's nothing in there. And to repeat, the feminine hourglass skirt is my mother's fault.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
had Alden not deleted that forum.

Can someone reference what J is writing of?

Thanks,

- M

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads