• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drakes Sample Sale

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^Yes, but perhaps they're not involved at the micro-level of ensuring sample sale prices are consistent from one year to the next.

My impression from the CHCM sales was that Sweetu was working directly with Michael Hill and others at Drake's. I'm not sure what, if any, ownership involvement there was in setting prices. This time around, it seems to be that Simon Sips was handling the Drake's merchandise while the Armoury was handling the Drake's x Armoury and other merchandise (my impression based on nothing more than the different discounts/pricing structures for Drake's vs. Drake's x Armoury and other items on sale yesterday). And I could be completely wrong, of course.

Thanks for the clarification.

There's no reason prices should be consistent year over year if the demand is there. I wasn't questioning that.

I was commenting more on your overhearing them say "their first effort at a sample sale." I'd be surprised if someone internally at Armoury didn't reach out to Michael Hill et. al at Drake's to find out best practices of sample sales of yore in nyc.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Underwhelming, and not worth the trip, IMO. I didn't buy anything.

^^
+1

My thoughts...eh!

I will post some flicks.
The sale that I went to 2 years ago(I believe it was just before Xmas) was much better:

-Layout
-Selection
-Included chukkas
-Ties were laid out on a table and you could really see what was available. This sale, the layout of the ties was underwhelming.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Drake's pics from 2/5/15
(iPhone pics)

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
How are the overcoats? Thinking of picking one up for my dad, but he's rather short at 5'6" and stocky as a 42S

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]How are the overcoats?[/COLOR] Thinking of picking one up for my dad, but he's rather short at 5'6" and stocky as a 42S

In terms of???

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
quality, size range, colors, etc.

are they worth it for the 800ish they're charging?

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was you taking the pictures? I I wondered if it was someone from SF! I think my hand might be in your pics. :hide:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

-Quality seems proper.
-Size range? Could not really advise. I only looked at/for my size.
-Colors...see the pics above. I may have missed 1 rack of raincoats/overcoats in the very front, but basically, that is what was available today.
-Are they worth it? Now that would depend on how you feel.

If you are picking up one for someone, I would suggest having them go down and try it on...if at all possible. I believe all sales are final.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]That was you taking the pictures?[/COLOR] I I wondered if it was someone from SF! I think my hand might be in your pics. :hide:

Nope.

DanTheLadiesMan

Reaction score

I tried on the navy overcoat. The quality is pretty good. The armholes are hand sewn and the coat is half-lined. The buttonholes are machine sewn but appear to be neatly done. The sleeves are basted so they can be easily lengthened or shortened. If you're Dad is short and stocky he might find the armholes to be too high and the coat length to be too long. I'm over 6 feet, and the coat length fell at my knees. Personally, I think Kent Wang's MTM overcoat is a better buy than the ring overcoat but that's just my opinion.

robw

Reaction score
I was there earlier. Many ties at $75. Okay, but not a great price IMO. If you need to stock up on ties there are many. Otherwise, there are also lots of scarves I believe 95. Some pocket squares a few gloves hats and some a sweaters. There were some ring jacket suits, jackets and overcoats. Again Okay but not great prices. Was thinking about a ring jacket overcoat for about 700 but decided I could do better. There were some decent shirts but mainly in larger sizes like 16.5 and up. I believe they were 95.

One thing I did not like was there is also Drakes stuff there for the armory that is 50% off and some of it is confusing. For example I picked up a Drakes turtleneck that I thought would be 95 like all the other drakes knits. but it turned out to be 50% off the tag or half of 500, Even though it is Drakes, it is Drakes for armory so it is priced differently.

Whatever, on the whole, it may be worth checking out if not too much of a trip. I would not travel any distance for it

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was there earlier. Many ties at $75. Okay, but not a great price IMO. If you need to stock up on ties there are many. Otherwise, there are also lots of scarves I believe 95. Some pocket squares a few gloves hats and some a sweaters. There were some ring jacket suits, jackets and overcoats. Again Okay but not great prices. Was thinking about a ring jacket overcoat for about 700 but decided I could do better. There were some decent shirts but mainly in larger sizes like 16.5 and up. I believe they were 95.

One thing I did not like was there is also Drakes stuff there for the armory that is 50% off and some of it is confusing. For example I picked up a Drakes turtleneck that I thought would be 95 like all the other drakes knits. but it turned out to be 50% off the tag or half of 500, Even though it is Drakes, it is Drakes for armory so it is priced differently.

Whatever, on the whole, [COLOR=FF00AA]it may be worth checking out if not too much of a trip. I would not travel any distance for it[/COLOR]

This.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Holt Renfrew wins the best Drake's deal for 2015 ($29 CAD!)

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if anyone sees silk navy polka dot or mughul scarves and is willing to proxy please let me know

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads