1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Drakes of London

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kaplan, Dec 16, 2009.

1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Drakes of London makes GREAT ties! :slayer:

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

FTFY

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

haha

4. Dib

Dib Senior member

Browsing through this thread (and elsewhere on the forum) I've seen lots of references to the grey/purple cashmere Drakes tie yfyf has. I've spent ages searching trying to find images of this legendary tie, to no avail! Would anybody have pictures of the tie in question being worn?

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think one just sold out at the BenSilver.com blowout sale for $42. See the PSA thread thats floating around now.

6. HHD

HHD Senior member

*gazes longingly into the distance* Aye, I remember that tie. Grey and purple it were, with a fine white stripe on her. Finest tie I ever did see.

Some bastard scored the last one from Drakes before I ordered.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  7. Dib

Dib Senior member

That one seems to be a solid purple, whereas I think the one referred to in this post is both purple and grey....

8. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

My run of bad luck with Drakes continues. The grenadine I received 5 days back is already unravelling at the seam. The stitching is vey loose and it has opened in one section. :(

It is poor construction on Drakes part or are grenadines more susceptible to this ?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  9. apropos

apropos Senior member

Do you pull the narrow end through the knot when undoing your tie?

If so, don't do this as this places great stress on the slipstitch and sometimes can cause it to break.

10. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    +1.. i saw recently someone saying that as important as making a nice knot is, knowing how to take your tie off is just as important.

11. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I only tied it one time. I don't recall pulling the narrow end through the knot. I actually don't recall doing that ever with any of my ties.

12. SpooPoker

When you take off the tie, do you hold the knot and then snake out the narrow blade? Ive done this too aggressively in the past and popped some seams, especially on heavier fabrics, which pop the thinner thread. You should take the tie off in reverse of how you put it on.

This probably does not have to do with your drakes question, but just saying in general.

13. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I generally hold the knot and tug it a little to loosen it and then if it is easily getting loosened keep on tugging it. Else start pulling the small end from the neck side till the noose is big enough to get my head through.

I have taken a couple of pics, will post later.

14. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Dear god, another rule to obey when putting / taking off your clothes!

15. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Try chess- it's all rules, which apply in all cases. Unless they don't in a particular situation, in which case you are free to ignore them.

16. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

17. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

contact YFYF =)

18. Salad

Salad Senior member

So do you pull the fat end up and through the knot? What's the proper method? I've always done what you described.

*edit* Ok, I just did a quick search and found out you're supposed to just work backward to untie it. Learned something new today.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  19. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

20. Deedee

Deedee Senior member

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that there are already a number of items on sale on the HP!