1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dr Martens, Yay/Nay?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kookydooky, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Black Cherry

Black Cherry Senior member

Nothing like a mirror-shined pair of docs (cherry red/oxblood) to make me feel up to anything.

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

yea, there's definitely a "I can take on the world" swagger you get when yer geared up in a newly polished pair of DMs

3. dave

dave Senior member

GS

I did receive my new loafers. I didn't get to wear them until last Saturday though so I they just sat there for a couple of days. I have a pair of regular AE penny loafers that I had a topy sole put on to add a little oomph that I doubt will see the light of day now. kinda feel bad for that. (but not much)

I am wearing my cherry 1461s today too. my usual go to's for friday. my FTW shoes.

4. MLIW

MLIW Senior member

Yes,

Once broken in they are incredibly comfy before that can be agony. Its a pain though. They are good at staying clean and if they get dirty wipe clean .
    Oil resistant soles

5. lakichan

lakichan Member

yay if they are made in the UK,

hell nay if they are made in China or Thailand the quality is just not the same...

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Senior member

Definitely yes!

I wore Doc's all the time when I was younger. Unfortunately over the years the quality had spiralled downward and the prices had quadrupled. I stopped wearing Doc's maybe 10 years ago, however I still liked them. Recently I saw the England made vintage models and was tempted to buy a pair. However they did not fit properly. Doc Martens has stopped producing shoes in half sizes. What a shame!

7. Mexicorn

Mexicorn Senior member

How do you guys polish docs without staining the yellow stitching on the welt?

I have to admit I'm a complete beginner when it comes to polishing shoes, but all shoe polishing instructions I have read involve polishing everywhere with emphasis on all seams. Do you just try and be very careful to avoid the welt?

Also on that note, has anyone tried purposefully polishing over the signature yellow stitching to "town-down" the contrast on, say, the black 1461s? Would this be possible, or would it just make the stitching look dirty?

Also, do you use shoe-trees on your docs? I'm wondering if it's as necessary with the PVC sole.

As a side note, I just purchased the 1461 "for life" Docs in black and will let you folks know as to their quality when they come in.

8. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

I think that another connotation, for me at least, is not only the cherry red skin association but the late ninties/early new century association of the plain brown nubuck docs and those horrible sandals being tied with just about everything uncool ever. I owned 8 or 9 pair of Doc's growing up and that whole era just killed them for me.

I still have my second pair of black 1460 boots that must be about 17 years old and a pair of orange 1460 boots polished black. Neither sees much wear. Beyond that it has taken till the release of the new James boots to really get me to look at a new pair seriously.

EDIT: Crazy Horse, thats what they called that shit brown leather.

9. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

How do you guys polish docs without staining the yellow stitching on the welt?

I have to admit I'm a complete beginner when it comes to polishing shoes, but all shoe polishing instructions I have read involve polishing everywhere with emphasis on all seams. Do you just try and be very careful to avoid the welt?

Also on that note, has anyone tried purposefully polishing over the signature yellow stitching to "town-down" the contrast on, say, the black 1461s? Would this be possible, or would it just make the stitching look dirty?

Also, do you use shoe-trees on your docs? I'm wondering if it's as necessary with the PVC sole.

As a side note, I just purchased the 1461 "for life" Docs in black and will let you folks know as to their quality when they come in.

I polished over my cherry reds, my black, my navy and my orange boots growing up and don't ever remember getting any staining on the stitching. I am not neat or careful by any stretch either. I was slathering my dads black polish on those things. taking masking tape to the sides would prevent it though.

The soles will curl up slightly with wear but I find that it adds character. They will wear down before they curl much however. My longest worn pair have virtually no tread bumps left with about 4 or 5 years of wear on them as a teenager. They aren't curled at the sole hardly at all. The top of the boot just below the laces is pronouncedly worn and curled. I suppose a show tree might have prevented that. The whole beauty of doc's to me though is the wearing in. Nothing greater then a tread bare pair of doc beat to shit.

10. Charlatan

Charlatan Senior member

I'd still love to see some actual closeup, wear pics of those Doc Longwings.

11. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

12. freelance robotics

freelance robotics Senior member

I apologize in advance for the link to the abortion that is hypebeast but has anyone laid eyes on these?

http://hypebeast.com/2009/01/stussy-...-desert-boots/

http://www.individualsole.com/2009/0...-stussy-boots/

The blue and the gray look great. stussy x docs, it's like 6th grade all over again.

it's funny, I was wondering just a few days back if Dr. Martens ever did a chukka/desert boot style shoe, I thought it might be interesting...

Too bad about those colorways, though.

13. chucklehead

chucklehead Member

very good shoes (what do you expect me to say i live in portland) esp for the price.

I love the airwave soles.

I hate that you cannot get shoe resoled with airwave soles.

14. Asha'man

Asha'man Active Member

Finally got a pair of MIE 1490's today. Paid $146 out the door brand new, which isn't bad at all. Wearing them for the first time right now. The right is super comfy, the left is pushing down on the top of my foot at the moment but hopefully I can break that leather in and give myself some clearance. I have high hopes, because I love the look.

15. fiftyfour

fiftyfour Well-Known Member

Wore a pair of black 1460's back in the 1990's as uniform boots and really missed them. Two weeks ago bought a pair in brown, with the brown stitching. Usually wear 11.5, and I guess they don't make half sizes, so got an 11. $100 out the door at Journey's in my local mall on sale. I am assuming they are made in China. Was worried about taking a long time to break in, based on comments here. You know what? Felt awesome from day one! Were a bit wide on my feet, but added some Dr. Scholl's inserts and they fit like a glove. They honestly are as comfortable as a pair of athletic shoes. Am very happy I finally got them.

16. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

bought a pair of solovairs from airportlobby, just arrived this weekend. all they needed were plain insoles and i really love the airware sole minus the connotations that come with docs [​IMG]

17. iwhelan

iwhelan Senior member

The right is super comfy, the left is pushing down on the top of my foot at the moment but hopefully I can break that leather in and give myself some clearance. I have high hopes, because I love the look.

I had the same problem but in reverse with my oxblood MIE boots. I worked on the leather and usually the problem would get better after the leather warmed up with my feet inside... but the problem was never fully solved until I put a clean beer bottle inside the boot. The edge of the bottom stretched the spot that was crushing my foot when I walked. This took a few applications over time in short intervals so to not overly distort the leather. You can't tell I did anything, but it stretched just enough to not press anymore when I walk.

BTW, I also installed the DM insoles, which I love, but this didn't help because it created less clearance. The beer bottle trick worked enough that the insoles are still in without any discomfort.

-Ian

18. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

bought a pair of solovairs from airportlobby, just arrived this weekend. all they needed were plain insoles and i really love the airware sole minus the connotations that come with docs [​IMG]

cool. which Solovairs did you get?

19. Magman

Magman Member

If you are looking for a different alternative to the traditional (i can't say that with a straight face, but it is, in some circles traditional, no?) Doc Martens, try Bates. Combat boots up the ante on the doc marten a bit, but they are waterproof as hell and comfortable enough to make a nazi in russia happy. They certainly aren't going to come in a million varieties, but their build quality is supreme. Mine have seen 5 years of heavy use, including military training, and have held up admirably.

20. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

cool. which Solovairs did you get?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]