• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dr Martens 1461 with blazer and pants

TheSacredSoul

Reaction score
I am surprised this hasn't been discussed before. Or my searching skills are pathetic.

Either way, I am wondering if it would be ok to wear the 1461 or even the 1460 with a blue blazer and dark grey pants?

Like this :

For reference: These are the shoes I am talking about...

Can't decide between the shiny or the standard ones.

Last edited:

winterland

Reaction score
Not sure about the blazer and pants but think those Dr Marten's go good many styles. Casual, dressed, clubs, concerts etc. Of course they will show you have a different flair. A little punk, rock, alternative etc.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not if you want to be elegantly, traditionally dressed, no.

But there are other things to aim for, though what Docs with tailored clothing aims for, I couldn't say.

TheSacredSoul

Reaction score
Not if you want to be elegantly, traditionally dressed, no.

But there are other things to aim for, though what Docs with tailored clothing aims for, I couldn't say.
What would you recommend? Traditional black oxfords?

jeffd

Reaction score
I bought a pair of some smooth calf 1461's a year or so ago, thinking I'd find a way to wear them but instead they've sat in the box unworn. They're like these, a bit of a step up from the usual DMs, which might be the problem - they just seem out of place with anything I try to pair them with.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend? Traditional black oxfords?
Any pair of dress shoes will work with a navy blazer and gray trousers. Note that I said "work," as opposed to working well.

Black is a bit too dressy, as are balmoral shoes. An open laced shoe, or a monkstrap, or a loafer, in some shade of brown, would work well.

A lot of it depends on what else you're wearing. With a white shirt and a subtle silk tie? Black shoes could be fine. With an open collar? Loafers make more sense.

Note that the only gray trousers you should be wearing with a navy blazer are wool, with a crease. If you want to wear cotton, go for tan.

Last edited:

TheSacredSoul

Reaction score
Any pair of dress shoes will work with a navy blazer and gray trousers. Note that I said "work," as opposed to working well.

Black is a bit too dressy, as are balmoral shoes. An open laced shoe, or a monkstrap, or a loafer, in some shade of brown, would work well.

A lot of it depends on what else you're wearing. With a white shirt and a subtle silk tie? Black shoes could be fine. With an open collar? Loafers make more sense.

Note that the only gray trousers you should be wearing with a navy blazer are wool, with a crease. If you want to wear cotton, go for tan.
Wow, some great advice there. Thank you.

I am going for the exact same look really. Complete with the burgundy bow tie and white shirt. It's a wedding, and not a black tie type.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, some great advice there. Thank you.

I am going for the exact same look really. Complete with the burgundy bow tie and white shirt. It's a wedding, and not a black tie type.

No problem. Even then, I'd suggest brown shoes ahead of black.

I'd wear Docs to a wedding if I were the photographer.
smile.gif

Last edited:

TheSacredSoul

Reaction score
No problem. Even then, I'd suggest brown shoes ahead of black.

I'd wear Docs to a wedding if I were the photographer.
smile.gif
I love brown shows but always apprehensive when combine with darkish grey trousers. It could go either way. Light grey pants and brown shoes are made for one another but dark grey is more tricky.

What shade of brown would you suggest though? Dark brown?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, if the jacket is darker than the trousers, the shoes should be darker than the trousers too. It looks more balanced that way to my eye.

Of course, that's just my opinion -- plenty of people will differ, and I don't always practice it myself.

I wouldn't buy pants in a shade of gray so dark that it would worry me to wear them with brown shoes, but that's just how my wardrobe fits together.

TheSacredSoul

Reaction score
Generally, if the jacket is darker than the trousers, the shoes should be darker than the trousers too. It looks more balanced that way to my eye.

Of course, that's just my opinion -- plenty of people will differ, and I don't always practice it myself.

I wouldn't buy pants in a shade of gray so dark that it would worry me to wear them with brown shoes, but that's just how my wardrobe fits together.

Ah, I actually already have the blazer and pants. Haha. So just trying to find the shoes that fit everything together. Might go with some burgundy shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics