• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dr Marten’s 1461Z Gibson leather issue.

Reaction score
Please do forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask you guys for some info, I’m new here.

Of course it’s obvious that Doc Marten’s leather quality has gotten dramatically worse in recent years, but this may be the most insubstantial pair I’ve owned.

I have worn them 3-4 times and the leather has creased quite badly at the toe box in comparison to how they usually crease. My other pair of 1461’s lasted 4 months with regular use and that’s on top of using all doc marten products from polish to wonder balsam etc. (I got them replaced for a smaller size for nothing at my local shoe shop so that was a plus)
The shoes I have now are a size 9 which is the perfect size for me believe it or not, yet these don’t look as though they’ll even be wearable in the next few months. Now I understand creasing is normal in terms of leather, but I’m hoping someone here knows a little more about it than I do. I know it’s not entirely possible for leather shoes to be crease free and if they stay this way that’s fine, I’m here wondering if someone is able to tell me whether these creases look like they’ll get worse the more I wear them.

I spent £115 on these shoes and I’m not willing to spend that amount every 4-5 months I’m afraid.

Many thanks and all the best for the New Year ahead to you all :)

7786C01D-49D3-407B-8F34-F3D481EBD1E4.jpeg

C6DAE7FB-7004-4A51-A49F-54E7B98D7F16.jpeg

EDB0AF64-7883-46BD-A65E-610A0E689749.jpeg

pleatedjeans

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply. Do you think it’ll worsen or would I be able to wear them regularly for work without serious noticeable strain on the leather?

Creases on the leather are normal, I have a pair of Doc Marten Steed oxfords (http://www.drmartens.com/us/p/originals-shoes-polished-smooth-archie) that have similar leather and have creased permanently across the toes. They're super comfy and with a polish are fine in an office casual setting. If you apply shoe creme or something to the leather to help it repair the leather will not split but will stretch. However it really depends on how roughly you treat your shoes - soles can be replaced, but if you split the upper there isnt any cost efficient way to repair that.

emptym

Reaction score
Just make sure you brush before applying cream. Brushing will get dust (fine particles of glass, granite, etc) out of the creases. If you put cream in before brushing, the dust will work it's way deeper into the leather and turn the creases turn to cracks. Shoe trees and not wearing the boots two days in a row should also minimize creasing and cracking.

Reaction score
Creases on the leather are normal, I have a pair of Doc Marten Steed oxfords (http://www.drmartens.com/us/p/originals-shoes-polished-smooth-archie) that have similar leather and have creased permanently across the toes. They're super comfy and with a polish are fine in an office casual setting. If you apply shoe creme or something to the leather to help it repair the leather will not split but will stretch. However it really depends on how roughly you treat your shoes - soles can be replaced, but if you split the upper there isnt any cost efficient way to repair that.

Cheers for the advice. I have Dr Marten’s Wonder Balsam, Dubbin and Black Kiwi polish so hopefully that’s enough to keep the leather splitting.

Reaction score
Just make sure you brush before applying cream. Brushing will get dust (fine particles of glass, granite, etc) out of the creases. If you put cream in before brushing, you'll that dust will make the creases turn to cracks. Shoe trees and not wearing the boots two days in a row should also minimize creasing and cracking.

Yes I brush them before I apply any product to my shoes. I’ve actually not invested in a shoe tree so I’ll do that. Thank you.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I am a big user of DM Gibsons since 1979. Of course they were of better quality then.

I have always a few pairs at disposal. Actually i have 4 pairs : 1461 (3 holes) MiE Steeds (thin sole) in Oxblood and Black, 1561 (4 holes) in Brown and black.

DM.jpeg
Steed

DM 1561.JPG

STEED (2).JPG
Steeds (Quilon Leather)

As you can see they all developed creases.
Emptym advice is the best: use shoe trees and don't wear the shoe two days in a row. Alternate.
Don't use too much polish. The best is just to wipe them with a cloth, and to apply, rarely, a nurishing cream.
The problem is that DM are using a lot of different leathers. If you have a look at their website they have now a page where they explain the best way to treat them. Well from their point of view…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads