1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Downton Abbey

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by fwiffo, Jan 2, 2012.

1. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Has anyone watched this?

I just finished watching the Christmas special on top of the first two seasons. The first season I only watched after they got that Emmy nod earlier in the year.

I wish I had a valet who dressed me in white tie every evening for dinner.

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Weird. I'm literally downloading season 1 as we speak. Cute chick on the red eye shuttle from the airport told me it was interesting.

3. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

It's brilliant - a friend just sent me Season 2.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

BTW - I spent about 15 minutes searching torrents for Downtown Abbey. No, I'm not tired at all.

5. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I watched Season 1 on DVD a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Season 2 will premiere in the States on PBS Sunday night.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i really liked season 1. real old-fashioned masterpiece theater stuff. like upstairs/downstairs done smarter. happy for season 2.

7. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Someone described that show as a big-budget soap opera. I thought the pilot episode was promising but after watching the next two or three episodes of season one, I began to think they might have been right.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

exactly! that's what's wonderful about it. that and the costumes, of course. and the whole fantasy of having a butler.

9. AndyMG

AndyMG Senior member

Yeah, it's pretty much a soap opera in period dress. Whatever its faults though, it's worth a watch for the Earl's daughters!

10. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

I like the youngest one - Jessica Brown Findlay. But then I realized she wasn't even 22 and maybe that's the reason. She has this rasp in her voice which reminds me of a direct who works for me except my direct is 30 something so she's not quite the same. Hopefully time will not catch up with her.

I know it is probably too soapy for most on this forum but glad to see some people like it. I always wondered about the valet. He looked like he did your alterations for you as well which would have been handy.

I saw people were enamoured by Boardwalk Empire dress. Although there is very little overlap between this show and that in terms of timeline, I have to say I prefer the more formal rather than peacock dress.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  11. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Senior member

What's weird about all of this is that I started watching it because I always prowl the PBS world during the weekends, what between Lawrence Welk and Sherlock Holmes. I really enjoyed the shows, but thought that I was one of 4 people in the country watching it. This morning, I hear Eliz. McGovern on Scott Simon's show and think, hmm, other people are watching. And tonight, I see this. This must be how hot trends start. In 6 months, this show will be the Desperate Housewives of the nation.

12. AndyMG

AndyMG Senior member

[​IMG]

I don't think I need to add anything else! [​IMG]

13. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Senior member

Watching now! Oh, that poor girl . . .

14. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

:slayer:

15. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

What about this from season 2?

[​IMG]

16. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

finally caught up with the premier on dvr. love the show, but i hope the pacing was just because they had to introduce so many plot points in 2 hours. it really emphasized the soap-opera-yness. 5 minutes of this exposition, then big twist. 5 minutes of that exposition and drama moment. the thing i liked (as i remember it) about season 1 was the way it moved so slowly and luxuriously, you knew it was soap opera, but you had time to settle in to each moment.

17. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I haven't seen it. A neighbor of mine told me I reminded her very much of the earl (or vice-versa). I think it was meant as a compliment.

18. fwiffo

fwiffo Senior member

Season 2 is definitely not paced as well and the overall narrative is a bit contrived. The Christmas special is more demonstrative of the pace in the first season. Julian Fellowes just needs more time to write it up properly. I don't believe season 3 will be done until the end of this year as they are going to take a break.

Wasn't really a fan of the Lavinia character either. She's the only upstairs person who frankly looks worse in the show than off it.

The Earl - "what a model of manners and elegance.."

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  19. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Senior member

Just won Golden Globe for best miniseries. :slayer:

20. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Not bad for a servile soap opera.