1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Downtime this morning

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Oct 18, 2004.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

My hosting service shut off the forum database this morning for two hours because the database server was apparently getting overloaded. Of course, that meant I spent 1/2 an hour trying to figure out what was going on, because they couldn't possibly be bothered to [email protected]#$.... #[email protected]# tell me ahead of time. Sorry about that. Hopefully it won't happen again. If the forum stays at this increased level of activity I may be forced to get a dedicated server for it and I don't know how much that will cost. We'll see, I guess.

2. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

Ignore my PM J...

Duh...

Whats fascinating is how fast the place fills up again now that the lights were turned back on. What was everyone doing? hitting F5 nonstop?

JJF

3. christian

christian Senior Member

j,

I'm glad that we're back on. Things got so desperate that I actually visited the askandy site, where they are making fun of this situation.

I didn't know that you were shouldering all the expense. Obviously, this site is fairly expensive. Look at the GQ forum, and how cheap their design is.

That seems unfair. Is there any reason why you are shouldering all the costs. The askandy site forum promotes the sales of his encyclopedia, but I still haven't figured out what you get out of all this.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

If need be I am sure there are many members here (including myself) who would be willing to donate and help alleviate the costs of a second dedicated server.

5. FIHTies

Well...There is a way to do that... Contribute via Pay Pal to J's cause. Become a contributing member. Â [​IMG] JJF

6. j

At the moment, it's not actually that expensive. And thanks to the generous contributions of some members who stepped up a while back, the cost has been defrayed somewhat.

7. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Distinguished Member

I recommend NOT taking donations from wide range of people. Lets the present moderator have control. It may be difficult to kick off a person if they have been major contributors.

-

8. j

If I had to kick off a contributing member I would probably refund his money. But the nature of most contributors is that they enjoy the civil atmosphere as much as, if not more than, the average user, and are more likely to contribute to it in their behaviour as well as financially. In short, they're not too much trouble. [​IMG]

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I must contend with this - I think a donation is just that, and has no bearing on whether or not the donator can be banned. It is a donation, not an investment. If the donator gave J's PayPal $1,000,000 and then trolled incessantly after said transaction and was in turn banned, it would be his own fault. And it would be funny.

10. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Well, we tried it with Kalra and it didn't work, [​IMG]

11. FIHTies

So interesting that Kalra just rolled over and died... I would have thought that he would have actively popped up again. Interestingly enough I thought of him today wondering who might buy the Blimp that the Neiman Marcus Holiday Catalogue had for 10MM. That and the Swarovsky Mister Potato head for 6K. For the man (or woman) with more money than brains... JJF

12. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior Member

Considering how much of a pest he's been on Ask Andy, I'm surprised that Marc "Grayson" hasn't re-appeared on Style Forum. Â I suppose that could be attributed to good (firm)moderation, Steve. Â [​IMG]

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Is it just me or does that sentence make you think of one last name in particular?

That name: Hilton.

Jon.

14. offshore observer

offshore observer Active Member

That "pest", if memory serves correctly, was quite helpful to you in offering his thoughts and insights. Why perpetuate references to people like marc39 (or indeed Kalra) given that they've been banned and have no chance to defend themselves?

15. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

(banksmiranda @ 18 Oct. 2004, 12:10) Considering how much of a pest he's been on Ask Andy, I'm surprised that Marc "Grayson" hasn't re-appeared on Style Forum. Â I suppose that could be attributed to good (firm)moderation, Steve. Â [​IMG]
    That "pest", if memory serves correctly, was quite helpful to you in offering his thoughts and insights. Why perpetuate references to people like marc39 (or indeed Kalra) given that they've been banned and have no chance to defend themselves?
    Actually a friend of my father's works for Ispat in Central London, and he tells me that the maiden name of Usha Mittal (Lakshmi's wife) is indeed Kalra. He holds quite a senior position at Ispat, and attended the recent wedding, so I will ask him if I can meet Lakshmi sometime to discuss this.