• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Downside of Wool/Cashmere Blend for Suiting?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
7,345
Reaction score
11
One of my main criteria when choosing a suit used to be that it was 100% wool. I am no longer satisfied with this as I have been wanting more substantial looking/feeling fabrics. In my ongoing quest for obtaining flannels I have come across wool/cashmere blends. My two most recent suits are at least 8% cashmere & the fabric is heavier, has a nice sheen to it (on my supers suits, I found that they too have developed a sheen, but not the good kind) & just looks better, when compared to some of my other 100% wools, making some of the patterned woolens look printed even, in that they seem flat. For instance: Wool/Cashmere - Wool
Wool/Cashmere - Wool
So I have been replacing my suits with ones that are wool/cashmere but before I go all the way with this, are there any downsides to cashmere blends? Like more prone to wear in those areas such as elbows & between the legs? I have not yet risen to the unfunded liabilities level, but I'm hoping to get some good input.
 

Sator

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2006
Messages
3,083
Reaction score
30
This 20 Oz worsted wool and 15% cashmere lounge has no problems with holding a crease:



In fact, the creases could hardly be sharper. Turn ups do not help with the crease line of the trousers, although the extra weight can improve the drape. However, any cloth so light that it needs the assistance of turn ups on the trousers so that they drape correctly is highly dubious.
 

tokyodandy

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Will
Mine don't hold a trouser crease. I'm not getting any more.
Interesting, my latest suit is a wool-cashmere blend and that has problems holding a crease too! Hmm...

TD
 

bjm

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
239
Reaction score
0
I love wool cashmere blend for suits. As you say the cloth looks and feels better than 100% wool. It also drapes better which gives a better looking fit IMO. It may not hold a crease as well but that is outweighed for me by the other factors. FWIW I have a 100% cashmere RLPL suit that is holding up wonderfully. I think the convential wisdom that cashmere doesnt wear well is often overstated.
 

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
7,345
Reaction score
11
Mine hold their creases very well. I'm actually wearing flannel Green Label trousers today & just looked down & the crease is still sharp, despite being thrown about after a couple of wearings already.

I have noticed that the backs of the suit coats can wrinkle a bit, especially after a drive.

My main question centers around durability though.

I just bought a replacement for the light glen pictured above in 8% cashmere.
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
25,925
Reaction score
3,511
Originally Posted by kenmoor123
Cashmere is weak fabric. It's not suitable for pants.

I disagree, unless we are talking a very high cashmere content and even then, a quality fabric will not do you wrong.

Originally Posted by Sator
This 20 Oz worsted wool and 15% cashmere lounge has no problems with holding a crease:

3 piece in only 20oz worsted? I hope that is strictly a summer lounge suit.
 

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
14,384
Reaction score
2,073
The fact that your wool things look wimpy has everything to do with the wool you have chosen, and not the qualities of wool in general. That said, a little cashmere is fine, I think.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,855
I try to avoid cashmere mostly because I don't think it adds anything, and I don't want to pay for it.
 

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
6,134
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by Sator
This 20 Oz worsted wool and 15% cashmere lounge has no problems with holding a crease:
In fact, the creases could hardly be sharper. Turn ups do not help with the crease line of the trousers, although the extra weight can improve the drape. However, any cloth so light that it needs the assistance of turn ups on the trousers so that they drape correctly is highly dubious.

From 1-5%, cashmere content in wool is simply a marketing technique which justifies a higher price. 6-19% cashmere content makes the fabric a little softer but also makes it weaker. At this level, the resultant softness is not worth the additional weakness and the price becomes much higher compared to 100% wool. I think this is the range where crease holding can become a concern. From 20% cashmere content on, you are looking at actual increased softness but really after 40% cashmere content, you might as well just spring for 100% worsted cashmere.
 

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
7,345
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by iammatt
The fact that your wool things look wimpy has everything to do with the wool you have chosen, and not the qualities of wool in general. That said, a little cashmere is fine, I think.

This is true. Just "wool" isn't enough anymore



What other identifiers can I search for in cases where I can touch the fabric? Currently my searches include cashmere, flannel & heavy.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 265 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 70 8.6%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 48 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 24 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 51 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,992
Messages
9,226,969
Members
193,682
Latest member
geppo19
Top