1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Downside of Wool/Cashmere Blend for Suiting?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigbris1, Jan 11, 2009.

1. bigbris1

bigbris1 Distinguished Member

One of my main criteria when choosing a suit used to be that it was 100% wool. I am no longer satisfied with this as I have been wanting more substantial looking/feeling fabrics. In my ongoing quest for obtaining flannels I have come across wool/cashmere blends. My two most recent suits are at least 8% cashmere & the fabric is heavier, has a nice sheen to it (on my supers suits, I found that they too have developed a sheen, but not the good kind) & just looks better, when compared to some of my other 100% wools, making some of the patterned woolens look printed even, in that they seem flat. For instance: Wool/Cashmere - Wool [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Wool/Cashmere - Wool [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] So I have been replacing my suits with ones that are wool/cashmere but before I go all the way with this, are there any downsides to cashmere blends? Like more prone to wear in those areas such as elbows & between the legs? I have not yet risen to the unfunded liabilities level, but I'm hoping to get some good input.

2. Will

Will Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Mine don't hold a trouser crease. I'm not getting any more.

3. kenmoor123

kenmoor123 Senior Member

Cashmere is weak fabric. It's not suitable for pants.

4. apropos

apropos Distinguished Member

Cuff your pants - it will help with holding a crease.

5. Sator

Sator Distinguished Member

This 20 Oz worsted wool and 15% cashmere lounge has no problems with holding a crease:

[​IMG]

In fact, the creases could hardly be sharper. Turn ups do not help with the crease line of the trousers, although the extra weight can improve the drape. However, any cloth so light that it needs the assistance of turn ups on the trousers so that they drape correctly is highly dubious.

6. tokyodandy

tokyodandy Senior Member

Interesting, my latest suit is a wool-cashmere blend and that has problems holding a crease too! Hmm...

TD

7. bjm

bjm Senior Member

I love wool cashmere blend for suits. As you say the cloth looks and feels better than 100% wool. It also drapes better which gives a better looking fit IMO. It may not hold a crease as well but that is outweighed for me by the other factors. FWIW I have a 100% cashmere RLPL suit that is holding up wonderfully. I think the convential wisdom that cashmere doesnt wear well is often overstated.

8. bigbris1

Mine hold their creases very well. I'm actually wearing flannel Green Label trousers today & just looked down & the crease is still sharp, despite being thrown about after a couple of wearings already.

I have noticed that the backs of the suit coats can wrinkle a bit, especially after a drive.

My main question centers around durability though.

I just bought a replacement for the light glen pictured above in 8% cashmere.

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Cashmere is weak fabric. It's not suitable for pants.

I disagree, unless we are talking a very high cashmere content and even then, a quality fabric will not do you wrong.

This 20 Oz worsted wool and 15% cashmere lounge has no problems with holding a crease:

3 piece in only 20oz worsted? I hope that is strictly a summer lounge suit.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

The fact that your wool things look wimpy has everything to do with the wool you have chosen, and not the qualities of wool in general. That said, a little cashmere is fine, I think.

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I try to avoid cashmere mostly because I don't think it adds anything, and I don't want to pay for it.

12. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I try to avoid cashmere mostly because I don't think it adds anything, and I don't want to pay for it.

small timer

13. culverwood

culverwood Distinguished Member

The moths ate my cashmere!

14. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Distinguished Member

This 20 Oz worsted wool and 15% cashmere lounge has no problems with holding a crease: [​IMG] In fact, the creases could hardly be sharper. Turn ups do not help with the crease line of the trousers, although the extra weight can improve the drape. However, any cloth so light that it needs the assistance of turn ups on the trousers so that they drape correctly is highly dubious.
    From 1-5%, cashmere content in wool is simply a marketing technique which justifies a higher price. 6-19% cashmere content makes the fabric a little softer but also makes it weaker. At this level, the resultant softness is not worth the additional weakness and the price becomes much higher compared to 100% wool. I think this is the range where crease holding can become a concern. From 20% cashmere content on, you are looking at actual increased softness but really after 40% cashmere content, you might as well just spring for 100% worsted cashmere.

15. bigbris1

The fact that your wool things look wimpy has everything to do with the wool you have chosen, and not the qualities of wool in general. That said, a little cashmere is fine, I think.

This is true. Just "wool" isn't enough anymore [​IMG]

What other identifiers can I search for in cases where I can touch the fabric? Currently my searches include cashmere, flannel & heavy.