• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Downside of Wool/Cashmere Blend for Suiting?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my main criteria when choosing a suit used to be that it was 100% wool. I am no longer satisfied with this as I have been wanting more substantial looking/feeling fabrics. In my ongoing quest for obtaining flannels I have come across wool/cashmere blends. My two most recent suits are at least 8% cashmere & the fabric is heavier, has a nice sheen to it (on my supers suits, I found that they too have developed a sheen, but not the good kind) & just looks better, when compared to some of my other 100% wools, making some of the patterned woolens look printed even, in that they seem flat. For instance: Wool/Cashmere - Wool
Cloth017.jpg
Cloth016.jpg
Cloth018.jpg
Wool/Cashmere - Wool
Cloth2001.jpg
Cloth2007.jpg
Cloth2002.jpg
So I have been replacing my suits with ones that are wool/cashmere but before I go all the way with this, are there any downsides to cashmere blends? Like more prone to wear in those areas such as elbows & between the legs? I have not yet risen to the unfunded liabilities level, but I'm hoping to get some good input.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This 20 Oz worsted wool and 15% cashmere lounge has no problems with holding a crease:

20OzThreePiece4.jpg

In fact, the creases could hardly be sharper. Turn ups do not help with the crease line of the trousers, although the extra weight can improve the drape. However, any cloth so light that it needs the assistance of turn ups on the trousers so that they drape correctly is highly dubious.

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Mine don't hold a trouser crease. I'm not getting any more.
Interesting, my latest suit is a wool-cashmere blend and that has problems holding a crease too! Hmm...

TD

bjm

Reaction score
I love wool cashmere blend for suits. As you say the cloth looks and feels better than 100% wool. It also drapes better which gives a better looking fit IMO. It may not hold a crease as well but that is outweighed for me by the other factors. FWIW I have a 100% cashmere RLPL suit that is holding up wonderfully. I think the convential wisdom that cashmere doesnt wear well is often overstated.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine hold their creases very well. I'm actually wearing flannel Green Label trousers today & just looked down & the crease is still sharp, despite being thrown about after a couple of wearings already.

I have noticed that the backs of the suit coats can wrinkle a bit, especially after a drive.

My main question centers around durability though.

I just bought a replacement for the light glen pictured above in 8% cashmere.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kenmoor123
Cashmere is weak fabric. It's not suitable for pants.

I disagree, unless we are talking a very high cashmere content and even then, a quality fabric will not do you wrong.

Originally Posted by Sator
This 20 Oz worsted wool and 15% cashmere lounge has no problems with holding a crease:

3 piece in only 20oz worsted? I hope that is strictly a summer lounge suit.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fact that your wool things look wimpy has everything to do with the wool you have chosen, and not the qualities of wool in general. That said, a little cashmere is fine, I think.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I try to avoid cashmere mostly because I don't think it adds anything, and I don't want to pay for it.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
20OzThreePiece4.jpg
In fact, the creases could hardly be sharper. Turn ups do not help with the crease line of the trousers, although the extra weight can improve the drape. However, any cloth so light that it needs the assistance of turn ups on the trousers so that they drape correctly is highly dubious.

From 1-5%, cashmere content in wool is simply a marketing technique which justifies a higher price. 6-19% cashmere content makes the fabric a little softer but also makes it weaker. At this level, the resultant softness is not worth the additional weakness and the price becomes much higher compared to 100% wool. I think this is the range where crease holding can become a concern. From 20% cashmere content on, you are looking at actual increased softness but really after 40% cashmere content, you might as well just spring for 100% worsted cashmere.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The fact that your wool things look wimpy has everything to do with the wool you have chosen, and not the qualities of wool in general. That said, a little cashmere is fine, I think.

This is true. Just "wool" isn't enough anymore
smile.gif

What other identifiers can I search for in cases where I can touch the fabric? Currently my searches include cashmere, flannel & heavy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads