• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Down Jacket For Winter?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Bounder, I am thinking of the Chilliwack for casual use during the winter. I'm on the Canadian prairies so I see temperates of -15 regularly, down to -30 on occasion. Do you think the jacket would be appropriate for that? I seriously want to be hot as hell... if I'm sweating in the jacket at 0, that's a good thing, as long as I'm comfortable at 7 a.m. in the morning going to work in -15 or -20.

The Halifax and Calgary look alright as well, any thoughts on those?

The Chiliwack should be fine, especially if you are moving. It does have a tunnel hood when you need it, though it doesn't have an internal wire support and, so, can be a little annoying on occasion.

The Resolute is 3/4 length and is made to keep you warm while standing around for hours in extremely cold temperatures. It was originally designed for people working in the deep artic on oil rigs, as I understand it. The Resolute has a freakish amount of pockets.

Somewhere between the Chiliwack and the Resolute is the Expedition. This is the standard issue parka for most countries' missions to the South Pole. IIRC, the Expedition and the Chiliwack are about the same length and both are somewhat shorter than the Resolute.

There is also a model called the Snow Mantra. I find this way too warm for almost anything you are likely to encounter in the Northern Hemisphere. It is even warmer than the Resolute.

Unless you are likely to be schlepping your way across the praries in -30C for considerable distances in high winds, the Chiliwack should work fine. It is also much more versatile as it is wearable in a greater range of conditions.

[FUNNY STORY] A couple of years ago I saw an Italian guy going into Harrod's with his family wearing a Resolute. Canada Goose jackets are considered ultra-fashionable in parts of Europe, including Italy, and the bigger the better. But the Resolute is a monster and totally unsuitable for city wear. Anyway, this guy thought he was the coolest thing ever. So it was quite amusing to see the look on his face -- and listen to his loud, disbelieving complaints -- when the clerk at Harrod's told him that they had no way to check his parka and that he would have to wear it or carry it. It was also great fun occasionally catching sight of him trying to shop while carrying the equivalent of an extra-thick, king-size down comforter.[/FUNNY STORY]

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
This coat was featured in the latest Men's Ex, which I thought is the perfect down coat to wear over a suit:

down_coat.jpg

Originally Posted by blairh
Can someone provide me with details on this coat? (Label, price, etc.).

Bump?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Club Monaco jacket for this winter that's cashmere on the outside, down-filled, and looks like one of the Thom Browne x Moncler jackets. It retailed for about $900 but I scored it on SuFu for under $300.
smile.gif
You might keep an eye out for something similar on eBay. EDIT: I obviously haven't put it to the test in genuine winter yet but I'm told they are quite warm, and this jacket is REALLY lightweight, it's comfy as hell and a real featherweight, unlike my super-duper-absolute-zero-proof Trovata parka which weighs about 5 pounds.
054.jpg
058.jpg
055-2.jpg
056-4.jpg
Originally Posted by zjpj83
... [RLPL pics]
Beautiful!
Originally Posted by rob
I thought I told you already: Arcteryx.
Try not to embarrass yourself a third time in this thread.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost any Canada Goose parka will do the job but for pure pretention, go 'Snow Mantra'.
In screaming red, it's much easier to spot a would-be thief who steals it from you.
Unless you are part of an actual expedition, you'll probably be the only person anywhere near you wearing this model. A little too loud for my own tastes but many would love it.
There's also a model of CG that has actual handles on the shoulders or back so a rescue chopper crew can pull you out of the water should you fall through the ice. Forgot which model though.

snowmantra2.jpeg

Img src- http://www.allthingsarctic.com/cgi/d...item_num=9501M

9501M_SnowMantra-500h.jpg

Img src & writeup- http://www.1foundmissing.com/blog/ca...-mantra-parka/

I have the 'Expedition' model which is toasty warm even wearing only a T-shirt underneath.
Seen here:
expedparkal.jpg

Src- http://www.madbearoutdoors.co.uk/pro...d=cgexpedparka

Really you can't go wrong with Canada Goose. Worth every penny.
Just a word to a new owner of one...never ever leave it un-attended or it will get stolen.
CG, especially in Canada, have been all the rage last few years and are highly sought after.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live in the frigid North; regularly deal with -10 to -20°F for days, sometimes a week at a time.
I wear my down parka about two days a year.

Save your money.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The people who actually live in frigid places (I'm thinking Winnipeg, Yellowknife, etc.) don't seem to feel the cold the same way. These jackets are mass-produced for people living in warmer climates who don't like the chill of -20 and don't want to have to experience any iota of it, as they would in some hundred-dollar Point Zero nylon and cotton affair.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
I got a Club Monaco jacket for this winter that's cashmere on the outside, down-filled, and looks like one of the Thom Browne x Moncler jackets. It retailed for about $900 but I scored it on SuFu for under $300.
smile.gif
You might keep an eye out for something similar on eBay.

EDIT: I obviously haven't put it to the test in genuine winter yet but I'm told they are quite warm, and this jacket is REALLY lightweight, it's comfy as hell and a real featherweight, unlike my super-duper-absolute-zero-proof Trovata parka which weighs about 5 pounds.

That jacket looks great.

asoong

Reaction score
Does anybody know how the Halifax jacket fits compared to something like the Ontario or Constable?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads