• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double tie

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen either in real life or in a magazine what was called a Double Tie? I saw it in a pic from a men's fashion mag designed by Zegna I believe when I was in Italy about 2 years ago. (and maybe I can find a pic around of it somewhere). I wonder if they actually made it to market or was it one of the things that crashed and burned on the catwalk.

Its the length of a regular tie however both ends are wide and are made of different silks. I guess the only knot you would be able to use would be a Four in hand so that the ends of the tie end together, and both are visible as the are not meant to be tied so that one eclipses the other but that they both show from the front.

I thought it a bit (understatement ) odd when I saw it. I wonder if anyone else has seen it as well? (its not new, but I recently heard about it mentioned as one of five ideas to watch in an entrepreneurial mag not particularly noted for fashion statements.)

Thanks.

JJF

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen either in real life or in a magazine what was called a Double Tie? I saw it in a pic from a men's fashion mag designed by Zegna I believe when I was in Italy about 2 years ago. (and maybe I can find a pic around of it somewhere). I wonder if they actually made it to market or was it one of the things that crashed and burned on the catwalk.

Its the length of a regular tie however both ends are wide and are made of different silks. I guess the only knot you would be able to use would be a Four in hand so that the ends of the tie end together, and both are visible as the are not meant to be tied so that one eclipses the other but that they both show from the front.

I thought it a bit (understatement ) odd when I saw it. I wonder if anyone else has seen it as well? (its not new, but I recently heard about it mentioned as one of five ideas to watch in an entrepreneurial mag not particularly noted for fashion statements.)

Thanks.

JJF
Yes, they unfortunately made it to the store shelves. I recall seeing 5 or 6 versions at the Zegna company store in Bal Harbor.

Jon.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Mr. Marty McFly sports one of those in Back to the Future, Part II
biggrin.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is most likely similar to when people tie a silk scarf in some sort of tie knot. Like how some women wear their long scarves.

Dominque Arnault wears something in that style often.

AE7

Reaction score
Double ties are up at Yoox/E.Zegna have just received this beauty:
46191083mc_14_f.jpg
kinda tricky to tie a knot 100% silk, but very substantial/rough fabric

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone can kill Eric Glennie, but can you make his spirit stay dead?

AE7

Reaction score
So you guys would consider this zegna tie a sartorial fail?
ffffuuuu.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AE7
So you guys would consider this zegna tie a sartorial fail?
ffffuuuu.gif

You should post pictures of you wearing the tie, so that we can determine that for ourselves.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
You should post pictures of you wearing the tie, so that we can call you a sartorial fail.

FTFY

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Has anyone ever seen either in real life or in a magazine what was called a Double Tie? I saw it in a pic from a men's fashion mag designed by Zegna I believe when I was in Italy about 2 years ago.

Dior Homme did double ties a couple of years ago, the same season that had ties with spiders, insects, and beetles on them.

I don't have any pictures, but they were really simple: they were skinny ties so the "front" (blade?) was almost as thin as the tail of a normal tie, only both ends were identical. As far as I can recall they were all plain black/navy, and one end wasn't a different colour. So I never really got the point.

AE7

Reaction score
8ce44a594416.jpg

knot can be manageable if you prefold the other side before you tie it.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AE7
8ce44a594416.jpg

knot can be manageable if you prefold the other side before you tie it.

From afar it just looks like a weird 70s tie with a funky side stripe. Not really feeling it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics