• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double-sole shoes and comfort

matcha

Reaction score
I've been considering some shoes (like C&J) that use a double sole. How do you think they compare in comfort to thinner leather soles? How about to veldtschoen soles?

Would the doublle soled shoes make good travel shoes, for walking all day in a city like NY?

Phil

Reaction score
I own several pairs of shoes with both single and double leather soles. I honestly dont think one is more comfortable than the other. The only sole that might make a difference is a rubber (dainite) sole, since it has more cushioning than leather. Other than that, I think other parts of the shoe contribute to comfort more than the thickness of leather on the sole.

matcha

Reaction score
I'm asking because I once posted a question about a certain Lobb RTW model and some commented that it had a double sole so would not be comfortable. I hadn't thought of that issue.

When I used to buy Bally shoes I found the elegant but THIN soles became very painful to wear on a trip, compared to English or even Ferragamo Originale shoes.

Phil

Reaction score
certain brands of shoes, namely Italian shoes, used to (and still might) have an extremely thin leather sole. So thin, in fact, that you could feel every pebble under your feet. I know this because my dad used to wear them, and I used to borrow his dress shoes as a teenager when I had to get dressed up. If you are talking about those soles, then yes, thickness counts. I dont know how anyone could wear shoes like that, it was like my feet were being pounded by hundreds of tiny hammers. But if you are referring to normal thickness leather soles, then I really dont think it makes a difference.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think there is a clear cut difference between single and double soles in terms of comfort. I would agree that my Bally's lead to some fatigue after walking around New York; however, my equally thin soled Lidforts feel much better after an equivalent amount of walking. The same can be said for a pair of black Moreschi bluchers.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The English consider double soles country or weekend shoes. They should serve you better on rough ground, and thicker soles don't conduct heat to your feet as quickly as single leather soles.

Double soles are not directly comparable to veldts, which are wet weather field shoes with thick rubber soles and a special construction at the welt.

Double dainite rubber soles are the Saturday museum walking shoe. Unlike veldts they won't keep your feet dry in a flood, but they are easier to stand in all day than plain leather soles.

Will

jrh

Reaction score
I have lots of double sole shoes and boots by Edward Green, Alden, and J M Weston. They are more comfortable then rubber soles in similar models. My triple sole Westons are wonderful (after some breakin period).

brescd01

Reaction score
My AS veldtschoen are not rubber soled, so can someone explain what this means? Furthermore, what is a "dainite" sole? Is this a brand?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Furthermore, what is a "dainite" sole? Is this a brand?
A few types of soles, courtesy of Bengal-Stripe, I think...
soles1.gif

marc37

Reaction score
(brescd01 @ 05 Oct. 2004, 04:47) Furthermore, what is a "dainite" sole? Is this a brand?
A few types of soles, courtesy of Bengal-Stripe, I think...
soles1.gif

Of course we all prefer the leather channeled sole.
biggrin.gif
Leather soles [that are stitched aloft] are for suckers. Give me channeled soles any day.

matcha

Reaction score
I have lots of double sole shoes and boots....They are more comfortable then rubber soles in similar models.
It's interesting that you say that the leather soles are more comfortable than rubber ones. Perhaps because they're smoother and slip more on pavement, with less friction?

Do other people agree that leather soles are more comfortable?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are double-leather sole shoes inappropriate for business wear? Can anybody comment on the comfort of double-leather soles other than the comment above? Also- I am 6'2...will I look out of place with such a thick sole?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matcha
Do other people agree that leather soles are more comfortable?

no, there is no real consensus on this. it's like debating what is more important, cushion or support.

in my opinion other factors contribute far more to comfort, namely fit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear double-soled leather shoes almost daily with suits and for casual wear. I also usually wear one pair when I travel. I've walked all over cities in them all day long without any problems whatsoever. For me, double-soled shoes are very comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads