• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double rl and levi's premium

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just looking over these brands on Bluefly. Can anyone clue me in as to the quality - and the general fit/sizing philosophy - of each brand? I'm looking mostly at jeans, jean jackets and western shirts...

Brian SD

Reaction score
Levi's Premium tend to fit fairly slim, and are pretty light weight and soft. They have a very retro fit to them, they are also pretty low rise. Not sure about Double RL.

The Levi's Premium on Bluefly are a great deal, if I remember correctly they're between $25-40 USD, which is far below their retail. I like the feel of them, but I would never pay more than that for it.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the Levi's premium - Austin model. Boot cut but not too slim, fairly low rise. I'm no jeans expert but I like them.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have some Polo Jeans, the "Hayden" style. I am wearing them right now actually. They are pretty nice but I wouldn't pay premium price for them. The denim is pretty heavy and seems durable and the wash is good but the fit is not too interesting, just a straight leg style. The construction is good. They seemed to shrink a bit in the length but I took them out of the wash and stretched them way out by pulling lengthwise and then air dried them, and they seemed to stay longer this time.

I don't know if these are the same as the double RL, but I thought I'd chime in.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely recommend Levi's Premium, but only if you get them at a sale price. I think they sell for $100-140 new, but you can find them on sale for much less. I have a pair of Hersher (low rise straight leg slim cut) in a solid dark blue wash with a little fading down the front that I got at TJ Maxx for $17, a pair of Hersher cut in a light gray worn finish that I got at Marshalls for $15, and a pair of Skinner (slim fit low rise boot cut) that has a distressed dark blue wash with a resin finish on the 'whiskars'.

As far as sizing goes, I take a 31 waist in most jeans and a 30 in jeans that run larger such as Diesel and PDC, and a 32 inseam. When I buy Levi's Premium, a 32 is tight, and a 33-34 inseam is more comfortable. Length runs true.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone,

I eventually settled on a Levi's Premium denim shirt and a RRL jean jacket - no jeans this time around - I'll let you know how they turn out...

J, I'm under the impression that RRL existed pre-Polo Jeans, then was phased out in favor of it. It's since been brought back as RL's Western/vintage-inspired line, one up from Polo Jeans on the hierarchy  - as to whether this translates into quality, I guess I'll soon find out.

rothko

Reaction score
Nick,

How did your purchase end up? I've been eyeing the RLR jean jacket that you bought. Does it fit well? Thanks.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J, I'm under the impression that RRL existed pre-Polo Jeans, then was phased out in favor of it. It's since been brought back as RL's Western/vintage-inspired line, one up from Polo Jeans on the hierarchy  - as to whether this translates into quality, I guess I'll soon find out.
RRL originated in the early 90's, but never saw a profit so it was eventually phased out. The dudes over at Polo failed to see that shirts retailing for $150-200 wouldn't be hoarded by the collegiate audience the product was intended for. I'm still unsure how Bluefly get so much of it though. As for quality, it's definitely better than Polo Jeans.
Polo jeans was spawned as the answer to Tommy Hilfiger in the 90's. Polo was trying to move in to the urban youth market. It's not related to RRL in any way.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm still unsure how Bluefly get so much of it though.
Are the RRL jeans that Bluefly had from the early 90's, or was that line carried out for longer?
Not 100% sure, but I could swear that last season on the Polo.com website I saw RRL items for sale (and I don't mean at sale prices either; full retail). Jon

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure, but I could swear that last season on the Polo.com website I saw RRL items for sale (and I don't mean at sale prices either; full retail).
There was a RRL fashion show on the Polo website last season, as well, so I can only assume it's still around.

Still waiting on my order, unfortunately - after a few successful purchases, someone at Bluefly has become convinced I'm using a Japanese card (?) to make my order, despite being in Australia, and this makes them not happy.
As soon as my bank sorts it out with them, I'll report on my new goodies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads