• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Monks AS Ramsey vs Carmina

jbuffone

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a pair of dark brown double monks in the (CAD) $500-$600 range. I know I can wear them with worsted & flannel suits at the office though I'll likely stick to oxfords when I do that. I'll probably wear them with cotton or linen suits and whenever I wear odd jackets.

Anywho, I'm confident the Carmina's will fit me. The C&J 337 & 341 lasts fit mostly great. They're just a teeny tiny bit snug in width. Mark from the Armoury assures me that the inca last is a bit more generous so I think they'll fit fine. I have no idea about the Alfred Sargent fit.

How do these stack up in terms of quality of materials, construction and looks?

First three are Alfred Sargent, the other two are the Carminas

Flartchy

Reaction score
if you gonna wear monks please don't have a huge pot belly. For some reason when I see chubby dudes in monks it makes me feel nervous.
frown.gif

wetnose

Reaction score
I think the AS come in quite a bit higher than CAD 500 though. Isn't the asking tag GBP 450 ~ CAD 750?

jbuffone

Reaction score
They're 385GBP if I remember correctly. Minus the VAT exemtion they'll come in at about 600 CAD. I'm rounding down. I shouldn't have mentioned price but I was afraid people wold start recomending Lobbs, or something else out of my price range for shoes that won't get a ton of wear.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I would go with Carmina all the way.
+1 The Buckle Stance (if there is such a term) is nicer. The Best one is Chapel <3, but that is far outside the price range you asked about.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Carmina hands down.

H2T

Reaction score
I just paid a visit to the Bowen store in Paris. Bowen as we all know are made by AS. The quality of the shoes are comparable to Camina's in my humble opinion and are very attractive,y priced. It all depends of the design you like.

Jack2000

Reaction score
1 vote for AS. I have shoes on the 99 last and it is a very elegant last.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I scored a pair of double monk black Carminas and they are a beautiful pair of shoes. Mine are a EUR Carmina 10 and fit me like a snug UK10 rather than C&amp;J UK10 which is more generous. I am usually a USA10.5E or 11D more commonly (EUR44). I must say those AS are nice but I prefer no captoe on monks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads