• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kturpin

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of double monk straps for a reasonable price. I'm in Toronto, Canada and so far have only found a fair of brogue cap toe monks at Johnston & Murphy for $460. In short, I'm not a big fan of them but can't find many other double monks in the city... I'm willing to order online, though what I'm finding is well out of my price point at close to $1000. I'd like to find some for < $350.

Has anyone had any luck online within this price range? Thanks in advance

Gonzo

Reaction score
You obviously haven't looked very hard...

Herring, Meermin, Loake.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
Got pairs of Meermin's and Herring's double monks. The Herring Shakespeare II is much more aggressive than the Meermin last and also a little more expensive. Herring delivered in 3 days whereas waiting for Meermin was 2 months. Either of them I'd say was a great choice at this price point, the quality of the leather on the Herrings is rather good - shines up well - and the Meermin suede quality is great too.

Out of the 2 I'd say Meermin's pair are more versatile due to their rounder and less chiseled shape.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Carminas are nice and the Lowndes is great too. But if cash is short go the Loakes. Not Shakespeares. Depends how fashion forward you want to go.

Last edited:

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
I'd have to argue against that. I chose the Herrings over the Loake version. The Herring Shakespeare looks more like the Lowndes and the Loake Cannon is blobby and rather unattractive in my opinion. It's purely opinion mind. Perhaps seeing as I'm arguing for Herring and Meister is arguing for Loake it would be safest to go for Meermin.

His recommendation for Carmina is a great idea - they look fantastic but it's really an issue of whether or not you can go to their pricepoint.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to SF and Toronto (the sarcastic part of the sentence)... There's Holts, Harry's, and Davids and not much else. Try Davids at Bay and Bloor, I think I saw a few pairs of double monks there for around $350-450 or so. Harry's has their house brand shoe that I think there's a double monk for. Other then that, not much that I know of in the city. also, check for the SF retail map...
https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid....099656,-116.218463&spn=108.110111,302.167969

curious to hear if anyone else knows of other spots.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh, once again we're here to commiserate over the state of shoe or menswear shopping in Toronto (or Canada in general). Sadly, what M-C said is true: choices are limited BUT there's a strong indication SuitSupply will come to Toronto next year. They offer nice double monks online...Not sure what the quality is of their shoes but the suits usually get positive reviews on here. May be worth the wait. Among the online options, in addition to Meermins, i think Howard Yount would be close to your range, Andrew Lock will be cheaper (at 250, I think). Good luck in your hunt :)

Gonzo

Reaction score

I'd have to argue against that. I chose the Herrings over the Loake version. The Herring Shakespeare looks more like the Lowndes and the Loake Cannon is blobby and rather unattractive in my opinion.

+1

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Howard Yount ... great double monks, right at 350

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purchasing direct from Vass can get you a pair for around USD530 which includes shipping and shoe trees. This is the one I got when I was in Budapest but I also bought from them another oair online prior to visiting them.

jmills

Reaction score
Purchasing direct from Vass can get you a pair for around USD530 which includes shipping and shoe trees ...

drool.gif
Is there a brochure or something? I thought we still had to use a proxy for Vass...

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I uploaded the catalogue on the Vass thread, you can have a look at the models there.But bear in mind there are bank fees involved as Vass does not accept credit cards, only bank transfer.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads