• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double monk straps with jeans. Yea or nay?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by long_knives
IMHO, 501's dress DOWN your outfit. It's something about the washes, the cut, the red tab and the back pocket detailing. With Double monks you want to dress UP your jeans. Minimal detailing with a slim cut. The first photo, which looks totally amazing, illustates the point exactly. I don't know what jeans that the dude in the photo is wearing but I highlly doubt that they are 501's.

+1....510's hardly EVER dress up an outfit.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Would these (the double-monks on the left) look good with jeans?

Canali.jpg

That combination of shiny and obviously expensive isn't going to mesh easily with jeans.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Hmm. I've never thought a lot about why I think single monks look better with jeans, but I think it's because with a single monk, there's less bulk over the tongue, which makes the shoe look more like a casual loafer, and hence better with jeans (obviously a casual garment).
The traditional view would dictate that two buckles are less formal than one.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by long_knives
IMHO, 501's dress DOWN your outfit. It's something about the washes, the cut, the red tab and the back pocket detailing. With Double monks you want to dress UP your jeans. Minimal detailing with a slim cut. The first photo, which looks totally amazing, illustates the point exactly. I don't know what jeans that the dude in the photo is wearing but I highlly doubt that they are 501's.

And forget the TB's. I have the C&J's and they rock.

Totally agree on wearing double monks with Jeans. I do it all the time and receive lots of positive feedback on the shoes. I can also vote for the C&J Lowndes. Have them as well and think they're extremely nice and comfortable. On another level the Vass double monks might be a consideration...

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal
Thinking bout buying some double monk straps from To Boot New York. Any experience with them? Quality, last, etc?
I think doubler monks would look great with jeans, comments?

I'm open to selling my Canali double-monks (pictured in this thread). They are brand new in box with shoebag. Never worn.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I'm open to selling my Canali double-monks (pictured in this thread). They are brand new in box with shoebag. Never worn.

Size?

quuz

Reaction score
Im thinking of either the crockett & jones lowndes or carminas double monks for the same purpose.
lowndes-db.jpg
carmina-inca-double-monk-brown-34-16.jpg
I feel like the slightly more rounded last on the carminas will work better togheter with jeans compared to the more pointy/square toe on the lowndes

aon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quuz
Im thinking of either the crockett & jones lowndes or carminas double monks for the same purpose.

lowndes-db.jpg

I feel like the slightly more rounded last on the carminas will work better togheter with jeans compared to the more pointy/square toe on the lowndes

I also like the shape of the Carminas more than the Lowndes. The Carminas also seem to have a better finish.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a double monker (...yet) but I'd go with the . I've seen the Lowndes, and it's too pointy for my preference. I don't know the last of those Carminas, but if they're on the Simpson last, they're chiseled but not excessively so. And the leather on my one pair of Carminas looks and feels better than the leather of my C&J benchgrades. Of course, that's assuming both fit equally well.

quuz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
Not a double monker (...yet) but I'd go with the . I've seen the Lowndes, and it's too pointy for my preference. I don't know the last of those Carminas, but if they're on the Simpson last, they're chiseled but not excessively so. And the leather on my one pair of Carminas looks and feels better than the leather of my C&J benchgrades. Of course, that's assuming both fit equally well.

The carmina monks are on the Inca last. Intersting about the leather, might maybe go with the carmina ones since I like the shape and last better then the C&J

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Size?

EU 40 (US size 7 to 7.5). The shoes look nicer in person than they do in the pic and are not as shiny as they are in the pic.

Teou

Reaction score
Sorry no brown double monks. Black, Trickers.

I like them with jeans.

IMG-20101224-00069.jpg

Artking3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quuz

These are gorgeous! I'm trying to decide between these and the C&J Lowndes. C&J is less expensive, but the Caminas may be better shoes. Hard choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads