• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double monk straps with jeans. Yea or nay?

Newlaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by long_knives
It depends on the jeans. A nice slim cut with a narrow fitted opening in dark denim? YES YES YES. Dad's 501's? Not so much.

I just bought a pair of 501's in rigid selvedge and they are the nicest pair of jeans I have ever owned. People love to hate on Levi's, but much of their denim is excellent.

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...194290.3265795

Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
501s are for everybody

Yes

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
I think exactly the opposite.

Hmm. I've never thought a lot about why I think single monks look better with jeans, but I think it's because with a single monk, there's less bulk over the tongue, which makes the shoe look more like a casual loafer, and hence better with jeans (obviously a casual garment).

Drudged

Reaction score
I own the Webster in black, and while the leather isn't the best in the world, it's a great looking shoe. The brown will definitely work with jeans, as long as they're fairly trim and fitted. As an FYI Bloomingdale's has the black Webster on clearance in-store, though not online.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
There are many situations. Jeans are quite acceptable in casual workplaces, as they are in casual social situations.
just because it's "acceptable" doesn't mean you should do it. if you don't know "what shoes to wear with jeans!!!!!!!" then you probably shouldn't be wearing jeans in the first place. if someone isn't comfortable picking out their goddamn outfit then how can they be comfortable wearing it? it's just not for them.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
just because it's "acceptable" doesn't mean you should do it. if you don't know "what shoes to wear with jeans!!!!!!!" then you probably shouldn't be wearing jeans in the first place. if someone isn't comfortable picking out their goddamn outfit then how can they be comfortable wearing it? it's just not for them.

fashion_police_embroidered_hat-p2338263938330910532kwcr_400.jpg

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i have a couple pairs of double monks i wear regularly on weekends with jeans...My brown antiqued Sutor double monks get a ton of compliments. go for it.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
fashion_police_embroidered_hat-p2338263938330910532kwcr_400.jpg

you got me wrong. i'm saying if it feels good do it. if it feels wrong don't do it.

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newlaw
I just bought a pair of 501's in rigid selvedge and they are the nicest pair of jeans I have ever owned. People love to hate on Levi's, but much of their denim is excellent.

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...194290.3265795

Yes

IMHO, 501's dress DOWN your outfit. It's something about the washes, the cut, the red tab and the back pocket detailing. With Double monks you want to dress UP your jeans. Minimal detailing with a slim cut. The first photo, which looks totally amazing, illustates the point exactly. I don't know what jeans that the dude in the photo is wearing but I highlly doubt that they are 501's.

And forget the TB's. I have the C&J's and they rock.

alt.don

Reaction score
Don't know if double monks come in more of a square toe but if so I would go that route. Completely personal preference of course but I don't care for the extended toe type of shoes.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would these (the double-monks on the left) look good with jeans?

Canali.jpg

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newlaw

Are these raw denim? Why do you love them so much?

silvere2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drudged
I own the Webster in black, and while the leather isn't the best in the world, it's a great looking shoe. The brown will definitely work with jeans, as long as they're fairly trim and fitted. As an FYI Bloomingdale's has the black Webster on clearance in-store, though not online.

Do you know how much its on clearance for?

aon

Reaction score
Yea! IMO a rounded last will look better with jeans than a more pointy and elongated last

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNjItMjAxMTAyMTItMTQ1MS5qcGc.jpg

Seymour

Reaction score
Yes; go for it. I do the C & J Lowndes with dark denim. I think the key is to keep the jeans simple, unadorned and in a straight cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads