• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double monk straps with a suit?

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do double monk straps look with a suit? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on these from Paul Stuart:

Please note: I am going to buy them and wear them with suits anyway

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:laugh:
I wear my double monks with heavier cloth. Aesthetically I think they are a bit too clunky for use with lightweight suits - but that's just my preference.

Last edited:

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Foo, looks great. Wouldn't hesitate doing so. Some of the more conservative folks will probably tell you how bad it looks, but I think it is generally SF approved, if it all matters.

stylesbitchly

Reaction score

How do double monk straps look with a suit? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on these from Paul Stuart:

I, and the people that compliment me on mine when worn with a suit ,think they look awesome.

I like the advice given here, and I've learned a **** load, about dressing better (correctly), but there are exceptions to every rule. Including that one.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:laugh:
I wear my double monks with heavier cloth. Aesthetically I think they are a bit too clunky for use with lightweight suits - but that's just my preference.

That's a fairly sleek last and with the simple cap toe, I think it would be fine with light weight fabric. In fact, I think it may look a bit off with heavier flannel or so.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I plan on buying a pair of chocolate suede dub monks to wear with navy pinstripe and chalk stripe suits. Saw a pair on a dude in Rome a month ago with a navy suit and they looked pretty effing awesome. I think they are a cool way to put a spin on the suits that everyone else around you is wearing (as if the fit, construction, coordination with tie and PS, and materials of an SF member's suit wasn't enough). :D

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Foo, looks great. Wouldn't hesitate doing so. Some of the more conservative folks will probably tell you how bad it looks, but I think it is generally SF approved, if it all matters.

I am glad you guys agree. That way if anybody says anything I can go "It's SF approved, *****!" Nothing else matters.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I am glad you guys agree. That way if anybody says anything I can go "It's SF approved, *****!" Nothing else matters.

If someone gives you **** just say: "******* grazie, bro."

godofcoffee

Reaction score
It's obviously not conservative business dress, but for a night on the town do whatever you want.

As a side note, I give that toe shape another 5 years, tops.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've worn double monks with suits for many years including lightweight and heavier cloth. I also wear them with jeans. Double monks are classic but are enjoying a recent rise in popularity. I think the Paul Stuart ones will look smart and also retain a certain classic style even after the fashionable trend fades. The two shoes where wI get the most compliments are brown suede cap toes and brown or black double monks. I like that I can wear them with anything. Get them!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I I give that toe shape another 5 years, tops.

I think toe shape, within reason is a personal thing. If you are a heavy, stocky guy a fuller, rounded toe seems to work best. If you are trim a narrower toe seems right. However it must be in harmony with the scale and cut of the rest of your clothing. If you suddenly want to wear full cut pants, a larger, rounder toe will look better.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

As a side note, I give that toe shape another 5 years, tops.

This reminds me of a 2002 post I saw when I first started creeping on SF saying that dub monks were played out and soon to exit the style/iGent realm.

As pocketsquare comments, as long as things stay in proportion to flatter one's figure and cut of clothing, I don't think it's possible to say when something will no longer be seen as stylish. Especially when it is a classic like dub monks.

godofcoffee

Reaction score

I think toe shape, within reason is a personal thing. If you are a heavy, stocky guy a fuller, rounded toe seems to work best. If you are trim a narrower toe seems right. However it must be in harmony with the scale and cut of the rest of your clothing. If you suddenly want to wear full cut pants, a larger, rounder toe will look better.

I absolutely agree that that toe shape will be capable of objectively agreeing with certain body types regardless of time period; I just don't think it'll be fashionable, and I think it'll be sufficiently played out that people won't want to wear it.

This reminds me of a 2002 post I saw when I first started creeping on SF saying that dub monks were played out and soon to exit the style/iGent realm.

As pocketsquare comments, as long as things stay in proportion to flatter one's figure and cut of clothing, I don't think it's possible to say when something will no longer be seen as stylish. Especially when it is a classic like dub monks.

It certainly is difficult to forecast trends, especially in higher-end men's clothing. I'm certainly no arbiter elegantium, and naturally it's all a matter of opinion. But I suspect that this kind of very thin, near-chisel, extreme-Anthony Cleverley-esque thing won't have a long shelf life.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads