Double monk straps with a suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CharlesAlexander, Aug 9, 2011.

1. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

How do double monk straps look with a suit? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on these from Paul Stuart:

[​IMG]

Please note: I am going to buy them and wear them with suits anyway

2. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

:laugh:
    I wear my double monks with heavier cloth. Aesthetically I think they are a bit too clunky for use with lightweight suits - but that's just my preference.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

3. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Hey Foo, looks great. Wouldn't hesitate doing so. Some of the more conservative folks will probably tell you how bad it looks, but I think it is generally SF approved, if it all matters.

4. stylesbitchly

stylesbitchly Well-Known Member

I, and the people that compliment me on mine when worn with a suit ,think they look awesome.

I like the advice given here, and I've learned a shit load, about dressing better (correctly), but there are exceptions to every rule. Including that one.

5. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

That's a fairly sleek last and with the simple cap toe, I think it would be fine with light weight fabric. In fact, I think it may look a bit off with heavier flannel or so.

6. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I plan on buying a pair of chocolate suede dub monks to wear with navy pinstripe and chalk stripe suits. Saw a pair on a dude in Rome a month ago with a navy suit and they looked pretty effing awesome. I think they are a cool way to put a spin on the suits that everyone else around you is wearing (as if the fit, construction, coordination with tie and PS, and materials of an SF member's suit wasn't enough). :D

7. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

I am glad you guys agree. That way if anybody says anything I can go "It's SF approved, bitch!" Nothing else matters.

8. bourbonbasted

If someone gives you shit just say: "Fucking grazie, bro."

9. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior member

It's obviously not CBD, but for a night on the town do whatever you want.

As a side note, I give that toe shape another 5 years, tops.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've worn double monks with suits for many years including lightweight and heavier cloth. I also wear them with jeans. Double monks are classic but are enjoying a recent rise in popularity. I think the Paul Stuart ones will look smart and also retain a certain classic style even after the fashionable trend fades. The two shoes where wI get the most compliments are brown suede cap toes and brown or black double monks. I like that I can wear them with anything. Get them!

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think toe shape, within reason is a personal thing. If you are a heavy, stocky guy a fuller, rounded toe seems to work best. If you are trim a narrower toe seems right. However it must be in harmony with the scale and cut of the rest of your clothing. If you suddenly want to wear full cut pants, a larger, rounder toe will look better.

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

13. bourbonbasted

This reminds me of a 2002 post I saw when I first started creeping on SF saying that dub monks were played out and soon to exit the style/iGent realm.

As pocketsquare comments, as long as things stay in proportion to flatter one's figure and cut of clothing, I don't think it's possible to say when something will no longer be seen as stylish. Especially when it is a classic like dub monks.

14. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior member

I absolutely agree that that toe shape will be capable of objectively agreeing with certain body types regardless of time period; I just don't think it'll be fashionable, and I think it'll be sufficiently played out that people won't want to wear it.

It certainly is difficult to forecast trends, especially in higher-end men's clothing. I'm certainly no arbiter elegantium, and naturally it's all a matter of opinion. But I suspect that this kind of very thin, near-chisel, extreme-Anthony Cleverley-esque thing won't have a long shelf life.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

15. Yachting Man

Yachting Man Senior member

Hahaha. That's brilliant.

As per your question though, they look good with a nicely cut suit. Enjoy them!