• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double monk strap shoes

bryce330

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could find some nice double monk strap shoes? I saw some Ferragamos at Saks last year but passed them up to buy some lace-ups and I kick myself every day for doing that. Since then, I haven't been able to find double monkstraps anywhere.

I know John Lobb is known for their double monkstraps but I don't have a grand to drop on shoes right now - I am looking for something in the Ferragamo price range or maybe a little higher.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I seem to remember that Prada made double monk strap shoes in theri collection. I believe it is the current collection.

ulf

Reaction score
I've seen a few ones here in Milan, there's a pair I'm lusting after right now. I forgot if it's at a Vergilio store or one of the Pollinis or some other place. I saw them but didn't react immediately. They were roughly € 240.

When I got home I realised I wanted them; I don't remember exactly where I saw them and I haven't had the time to go browsing/shopping yet. I spend too much time at the office...

I will let you know when I find them. Manufacturers like Church's makes them at times, don't they?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Double monk strap shoes do have a niche in the market and most English manufacturers have a model in their program: Crockett & Jones (Cadogan), Edward Green (Westminster), Church's (Cowes). The famous one, and their signature model, is of course John Lobb. I believe, the style was invented in the workshop of John Lobb (St James). Later when John Lobb (Paris) was sold by its London founders and was acquired by Hermes, Hermes got the right to produce ready-to-wear versions of the designs.

It is not the most popular of designs, it probably has little mass appeal; therefore only the more expensive manufacturers have it in their portfolio. Apparently, the French are very fond of the style. Italian manufacturers like Prada or Ferragamo might well produce their version in a particular season, but they probably wont keep it in their program year after year.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There have been a lot of double-monk shoes in recent collections. I saw the Ferragamo's you mentioned and really liked them. There may be a pair or two at Nordstrom Rack by now. I've seen shoes from the same season there and a pair recently made it onto ebay. Gravati also does a version - I saw them at Wilkes Bashford in San Francisco. This style is not the best for my foot (I have a high instep) but I like them anyway. I picked up a pair of the John Lobb "William" and I love them. Even better I got them for a mere $275.00.. Grenson does a version for their Masterpieces collection. Very high quality shoes. You can find them here: Grenson Masterpieces - Felstead Price with shipping is approximately $325.00 which is a great deal.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a pair of gucci double monk strap shoes which men and women always seem to comment on as if they're lusting after them so i guess there's something subtle to be said about wearing a pair

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Speaking of double-monk shoes - her is a cool pair: VUITTON

bryce330

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips A Harris - those Vuittons are nice, but unfortunately are likely about 1/2 size too large for me. I am intrigued by the Grenson shoes however - are you familiar with this brand? How do they stack up to the other English shoemakers - Crockett & Jones, etc?

I've looked around and it doesn't appear that any of the other English brands have double monkstraps in their current collections; if I don't see anything in the next few months I might take a chance on the Grensons. Otherwise, I might just save up for the Lobbs.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated...

naturlaut

Reaction score
Which John Lobb double monk are you interested in?  The Williams/Vintage or the 2002?

As you know, most of these English companies have been in business for ages, so they have different lines; I am not sure which line of Grenson you are refering to, but (having seen them in person) I would rate Grenson on the same level as Trickers or New & Lingwood, as the leather is soft and uniform, but not quite like Edward Green.  If I remember right, Grenson came out with the double monk pretty recently, and the two straps a parallel to each other compared to others (like Lobb), where the top strap is curved according to the foot.  

Mantellassi makes double monk strap for Borrelli.  On display, it is available in brown suede.  Lobb has the Williams/Vintage made in every leather (and color) imaginable (even white pebble).  Crockett & Jones also has one called Cadogan in burnished brown, black or pebble (like Lobb's Williams).  

In US currency, Lobb's Williams - $1000+ ($995 at Saks during winter sale), Lobb's 2002 - $1200+ (limited quantity), Borrelli (Mantellassi) - $895.00 (in New York), C&J Cadogan - roughly US$500+.  Edward Green's Westminster - $1500+ at Saks (I think it's sold out as of December 2002).  Ferragamo also makes one for much less.

Mitch D

Reaction score
Bryce330, In case you haven't yet found the shoes you're looking for,I saw some very interesting Antonio Maurizi double monk strap shoes at Nordstrom earlier this week. I don't know if the chain generally carries the same brands nationwide (I live in Seattle),but they sure were nice: a dark taupe (only color available),that tapers to a squared toe. Beautifully detailed stitching on the vamp. Cost was around $285-95, I believe. Unusual color,for sure. Not your everyday monk straps.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I fear I run the risk of asking one of those "What color tie can I wear with my white shirt questions. . . "

But here goes. What do you wear your double monk straps (for example, the Grenson Feldstad in brown or black calf) with? Would the double monk in brown or black be as versatile as a captoe lace up, suitable for a double or single breasted suit in both winter and summer? How about with jeans? Khakis?

Please advise. . . .

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On the formal>casual scale, a monk strap will clock in a notch below the lace-up and well above the slip-on. Lace-up and monk strap are both dress/town shoes, the monk strap is just a tiny bit more idiosyncratic. Basically in all situations, bar the most formal ones, when you would wear lace-up you can wear a monk strap (single or double) as well. Let the color and the leather texture (smooth leather is more formal than heavy grained), be your guide.

Joe G

Reaction score
What do you wear your double monk straps...with?

I wear my brown pebble-grain Lobbs with anything I damn well want to, from suits to jeans.

Peace,

JG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics