• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double monk strap buckle placement

mg428

Reaction score
I would like to hear your comments regarding a design difference of double monk strap shoes.

I have noticed that the two buckles in some double monk strap shoes are parallel (and closer) to each other, whereas in some double monk strap shoes they are not parallel and close to each other.

I am posting some links so that you would understand what I mean:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...Section_Id=523

Look at the black double monk strap shoe image posted by "16520Man" in the below link:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=1106895

So my question is what do you think about which style is more dressy and casual?

Thanks!

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The BBs are more casual because of the broguing. AS to the buckle design, there really is no significant difference between the positioning of the buckles. But I suppose the wider spacing, because of the marginally greater "busy-ness" would make the shoes more casual.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can pick apart the design of the actual strap such that you can conclude which is dressier than the other. You would have to look at other styling cues.

For one thing, the double monk strap posted by 16520 is the John Lobb Chapel. This is a unique design, so you aren't going to find other monks designed like this.

Typically brogued shoes are considered conservative and appropriate for business wear. But to me, the Chapel is just so sleek, that I think it is appropriate for any dressy occasion. I would wear the Chapels with business conservative suits, a night on the town and less formal occasions. I would even pair them with jeans.

The other monks are pretty basic double monks, but a little busy for my taste, and because of all the broguing, less formal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics