1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Double Monk Conundrum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by msart84, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.

Give my regards to the other gastropods.

1 person likes this.
  2. sprout

sprout Senior member

[​IMG] Boring is as boring does.

The JLs are good. Haters probably just haven't handled them in person.

3. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I have handled the JLs. As I said I can appreciate the quality of them. But the shape just isn't my cuppa.

But then again, I'm the guy with red G&Gs so obviously I have a different aesthetic.

In any case, it's all good. That's what makes life interesting. If we were all alike and dressed alike it would be pretty hard to bear.

:fistbump:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. sprout

sprout Senior member

Of course, there are all tools for different jobs and for creating harmonious proportions. Depending on the diameter of the trouser and level of break, a large, blobbier shoe may be totally uncalled for. Sometimes you need needlenose pliers and sometimes a wrench.

That said, we have a special VIP seating for owners of red G&G shoes, if you'll just step over here...

[​IMG]

Just kidding... [​IMG]

5. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

:cloud:

:crackup:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the JL Williams are the best all around, long-term double monks that you can buy.

7. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

+1

-LR

8. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Clearly, your mom has better style than you. Even after 50 years.

9. ncdobson

ncdobson Senior member

Anyone tried the Holyrood by Cheaney?

10. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

A little bump; Seems like Loake has joined the double monk world: Loake Cannon. For a low budget monk I think they look absolutely stunning, and since they are in the 1880-line, the quality should be acceptable. What are peoples opinion on these? Have the fab blown over?

11. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

...and also made this model for Charles Tyrwitt, I think in a different last, probably 026 consider that is available in F and G fit.

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-sho...es?q=gbpdefault||MC080BRN|||||||||||||&ppp=46

A friend of mine bought a Berkeley in sale (same leather of Cannon) the overall quality is good, the shoe is solid but the leather isn't so good, too soft and supple seems to be nappa and crease in a bad way.

However for that price is a good daily shoe.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  12. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

What is the last #?

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

[​IMG] Since we're on the topic... wearing the C&J Lowndes today

14. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I understand what you mean, here are a couple of pictures I found on another forum:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here you can see that the leather creases on a more special way, I have the same creasing on a pair from Herring also made by Loake. Mabye the Herring Shakespear II is the way to go?

15. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As yet-another youngster on the hunt for a pair of double-monks in the 300$ region (or rather, 250 Euro region, as I'm in Europe), I'd be delighted to hear feedback from owners of any (and preferably several) of the below shoes and how they compare. I'm going for an aggressive, point-toe alternative and thus the best options in my price range appear to be the ones below:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Herring Shakespeare II:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Pros: [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Good selection of colours, design is spot-on for me, Herring is a reputable dealer, various goodies such as free trees included, occasional 10% discount codes on their twitter.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Cons: [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Quality, esp. leather quality is a bit unclear to me. Heard less flattering this about the Herring "Classic" line - who makes them, and what line from which maker are they roughly comparable to?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Loake Black friars:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Pros:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Part of Loake 1880 line that I believe is of reasonable quality.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Cons: [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The small front apron and the close-together placed buckles give it a sort of "uptight" appearance that I'm not very fond of.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Loake Cannon:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Pros:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Same as above.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Cons: Looks better then Blackfriars but still design leaves things to be desired (not pointy enough!).[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]C&J Lowndes[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]These would normally be totally out of my price range - there is however one shady E-bayer who deals in C&J seconds/subs where they can occasionally be grabbed for 200-240 pounds (never seen them in my size tough).[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Pros: Obviously the superior shoe of lot in both design and quality.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Cons: Going for these means going for subs/seconds, and waiting who knows how long for the right size to show up.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Since I'm leaving for Tokyo in September, I intend to grab a pair before since buying or importing from Japan tends to get slammed with a ludicrous 60% customs tariff on leather shoes. The current plan is thus to stalk E-bay for a few more months and hope to score something (preferably some Lowndes subbed at a low bid), and if not, pull the trigger on the Herring Shakespeares.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Still quality on those has me somewhat worried, and perhaps ideally I'd be looking for some kind of intermediate step between the 195GBP Herrings and the 340 GPB C&Js...[/FONT]

16. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

As yet-another youngster on the hunt for a pair of double-monks in the 300$ region (or rather, 250 Euro region, as I'm in Europe), I'd be delighted to hear feedback from owners of any (and preferably several) of the below shoes and how they compare. I'm going for an aggressive, point-toe alternative and thus the best options in my price range appear to be the ones below:

Herring Shakespeare II:

Pros:

Good selection of colours, design is spot-on for me (except for the “antiqued” appearance of the buckle metal), Herring is a reputable dealer, various goodies such as free trees included, occasional 10% discount codes on their twitter.

Cons:

Quality, esp. leather quality is a bit unclear to me. Heard less flattering this about the Herring "Classic" line - who makes them, and what line from which maker are they roughly comparable to?

Loake Black friars:

Pros:

Part of Loake 1880 line that I believe is of reasonable quality.

Cons:

The small front apron and the close-together placed buckles give it a sort of "uptight" appearance that I'm not very fond of.

Loake Cannon:

Pros:

Same as above.

Cons: Looks better then Blackfriars but still design is far from what I crave. Not pointy enough!

C&J Lowndes

These would normally be totally out of my price range - there is however one shady E-bayer who deals in C&J seconds/subs where they can occasionally be grabbed for 200-240 pounds (never seen them in my size tough).

Pros: Obviously the superior shoe of lot in both design and quality.

Cons: Going for these means going for subs/seconds, and waiting who knows how long for the right size to show up.

Since I'm leaving for Tokyo in September, I intend to grab a pair before since buying or importing from Japan tends to get slammed with a ludicrous 60% customs tariff on leather shoes. The current plan is thus to stalk E-bay for a few more months and hope to score something (preferably some Lowndes subbed at a low bid), and if not, pull the trigger on the Herring Shakespeares.

Still quality on those has me somewhat worried, and perhaps ideally I'd be looking for some kind of intermediate step between the 195GBP Herrings and the 340 GPB C&Js...

17. Erik Vegas

Erik Vegas Member

Other DB's in that price range would be the Herring Atlee and those from Markowski and Septieme Largeur.

18. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I know $100 difference might be steep but I would vote for C&J Lowndes. I do own them, I am very happy with the quality, and their design is pretty nice. Why settle now, have the funds in a year or so, then 'upgrade' to another shoe.

19. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I would do whatever one fits you the best. If you can try them all on ahead of time that's your best bet. If they don't fit you won't wear them otherwise no matter how good they look - or you will wear them for a bit and then you'll end up selling them here at a loss.

20. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

Thanks for above replies. I admit being ignorant of the French makers. Both Markowskis Eloy and Septieme Largeurs model ”Rennan” on the 206 last both appear to be solid options. The Markowski ones are almost suspiciously cheap at 175 Euro, leather quality has me worried (I'll do some reading on the reviews).

Herring Atlee are sadly out of question due the terrible buckles on the brown version.

When I think about it, the single most important criteria for me is really to have leather that ages nicely. While
    I´m confident that the C&Js will do so, the price is just a little bit intimidating.

If it was just a 100$ difference, I'd pull the trigger on the Lowndes with little hesitation, however, it's actually 200$, unless I can score some subs on E-bay.

To give some perspective – I'm a PhD student getting by on a 500 euro/month scholarship. Rent is 350. Bigger shoe budget will only come from part-time jobs, or from eating less...

I'll do some serious research on Markowski quality, but unless I find them up to snuff I'll place my faith in E-bay. Sometimes those amazing deals seem to come buy – still hitting myself on the head for missing these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230776989899?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_823wt_1265

Last edited: May 6, 2012