• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Monk Conundrum

msart84

Reaction score
I've been looking for a great double monk for a while, and living in NYC affords me some excellent opportunities to find good quality shoes. However, I think the two shoes I'm leaning towards are the C+J Lowndes and the Carmina DM in the Inca last from the Armoury. I much prefer to try a product on before I buy, so that is affecting my decision as well. How do these two models compare?

Does anyone know what the retail price is of the Lowndes in the NYC store? I'm thinking about trying it on and ordering from Pl*l if it much cheaper from the latter. I do feel a tad guilty even thinking about that tactic, as it seems a bit deceptive to the sales staff, but it may need to be done. I look forward to getting some response.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J will make the sale regardless if you buy it from C&J NY store, Plal, Pediwear or eBay.

And if you are willing, just order from C&J Royal Arcade itself; they allow returns.

The problem w/ C&J is that they only offer E fitting in most if not all Handgrade lasts...

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordering from the C&J NY store will cost about $600 + $20-30 for shipping.

Ordering from Plal will cost around $420 with free shipping. However, they are backordered until January.

Ordering from C&J in the UK will get you the shoes right away for around $420 plus $50 for shipping.

If you want the shoes soon, your best bet is probably to order 2 sizes from C&J in the UK and keep the one that fits.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're in NYC, you might want to consider the Paul Stuart Newbury too:
http://www.paulstuart.com/product_i...08&MainCatId=14&HEADERMENUID=1&SUBPRODCATID=0
Go by the Madison Ave shop and try it on. I found it runs a bit long as I'm usually a EU 43 or 43.5 and I was a 42.5 in it. A few months ago I was down to it and the Lowndes. I ended up going with the Lowndes because it fit me better but the Newbury was a really nice shoe too and is over $100 cheaper.

kmarotta83

Reaction score
I've owned both the Lowndes and the Carmina Inca Last DM. The Carmina has a better finish all around IMO and looks more elegant in person. The chiseled/elongated toe box of the Lowndes never worked for me. The Carmina would suit a wider foot better as well.

msart84

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the responses so far. Fred, the PS looks interesting. I've never seen it before, but I pass the store everyday on my way to work and will definitely stop in to try it on sometime soon.

Kmarotta, how much longer is the toe box on the Lowndes than the Inca? For someone with a large foot (two actually) this may look off (I'm a 12US). When you say the C+J fits a wider foot better, does that mean the last simply has more room?

Sprout, what do you dislike?

sprout

Reaction score
The Lowndes are chiseled and snub-nosed in a way that can only be experienced in person. It is inelegant and dated.
Just pop into the C&J store, deal with their frankly trying service, and check it out. I have a large foot, not as large as yours, and even for me they just seemed freakishly long. Elven. If you're a 12, I can't imagine them not looking like torpedoes on you. No amount of trouser can conceal that elongation.

As for the Carmina Inca last, it is a bit more spread out in the ball of the foot before the end of the toebox. But be warned, everyone likes to say this model is "roomy," but it still has an aggresively rounded taper. It's not chiseled and more sinusoidal... but still. You might experience some small toe pressure depending on whether you size up or down. I wore those earlier today; they're a fine shoe, albeit a little attention-grabbing. Still, by all accounts they're more tasteful than the C&J Lowndes.

You have been warned.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Lowndes are chiseled and snub-nosed in a way that can only be experienced in person.  It is inelegant and dated. 
Just pop into the C&J store, deal with their frankly trying service, and check it out.  I have a large foot, not as large as yours, and even for me they just seemed freakishly long.  Elven.  If you're a 12, I can't imagine them not looking like torpedoes on you.  No amount of trouser can conceal that elongation.

As for the Carmina Inca last, it is a bit more spread out in the ball of the foot before the end of the toebox.  But be warned, everyone likes to say this model is "roomy," but it still has an aggresively rounded taper.  It's not chiseled and more sinusoidal... but still.  You might experience some small toe pressure depending on whether you size up or down.  I wore those earlier today; they're a fine shoe, albeit a little attention-grabbing.  Still, by all accounts they're more tasteful than the C&J Lowndes.

You have been warned.

I've been looking for a double monk also...looks as though Carmina has to double monks, one on the Inca last and another on the Simpson last. The Simpson Last looks very similar to the Lowndes.

Carmina Double Monk on the Simpson Last

Carmina Double Monk on Inca Last

Last edited:

17 Seconds

Reaction score
Bought a pair of Sid Mashburn double monks (made by AS). Love 'em, and haven't regretted it since.

kmarotta83

Reaction score

Kmarotta, how much longer is the toe box on the Lowndes than the Inca? For someone with a large foot (two actually) this may look off (I'm a 12US). When you say the C+J fits a wider foot better, does that mean the last simply has more room?

sprout has already addressed this for the most part. The Lowndes in a 12US are going to look pretty elongated.

For me, the toe box on the Carmina Inca Last DM has more room.

Last edited:

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bought a pair of Sid Mashburn double monks (made by AS). Love 'em, and haven't regretted it since.

I have the Ramsey from AS, and I think it's a beaut.

Overall I'm very happy w/ the four pairs of AS I own; I think it's a fair yet affordable price for what's given.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads