• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Monk Boot: Medallion, Captoe, Both, Neither?

Which style do you prefer?

• Medallion

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Captoe

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Both Medallion & Captoe

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Neither; plaintoe

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
JL William boot is my inspiration but at $1600 its a little too pricey. Instead, im hoping to have one made up by the spanish shoe company, Meermin.

JL William Boot

Will have it made up in brown sell. Right now im deciding which style to get. Already have a couple captoe monks so im leaning toward the medallion to switch it up

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were it me, I would have them made 'as is' but in Scotchgrain & double sole or Dainite. Those boots are sweet indeed.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys.

MoL, The captoe is indeed a classic look. I dont think I could go wrong with that style. Regarding the sole, im debating between double and dainite with a brown edge trim.

Hendrix, im still in the initial phases and could just as easily go for the jodhpur. However, im kind of saturated in that department. I currently have a chestnut C&J Cottesmore (jodhpur), RLPL chelsea boot in black, and a RLBL brown suede jodphur.

Why you no like the double monk boot? I think it would be a really versatile boot

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When done right, I think it looks great. Im a big fan of the JL william and boots and shell. Hoping this could be a beautiful marriage and not a fucked up three way.

For the boot to work, the proportions and last have to be perfect. Case in point, JL William Boot. However, when its done wrong, It just looks bad:

This Jimmy Choo boot suffers from an ugly strap and a last that isnt round enough in the toe.

Last edited:

jammyo40

Reaction score
Captoe. It blends in nicely with the horizontal lines of the double straps. What I really like about this JL in particular is the faux cap toe stitching.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To each their own, Namor, but to me a double monk boot sounds like a terrible idea.

+1, sorry.

always ask, what would lino do?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thanks for the input guys.
Why you no like the double monk boot? I think it would be a really versatile boot

I just think it's ugly. No offense. I like shoe double monks, despite their overhypedness, but a chukka version is bad to my eye.

If you're feeling itchy, what about just a simple 7 eyelet boot with a brogue-less wingtip?

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know 'bout that. That's Chukka-boot height, but the proportions seem off - the flap is too small. Go with a boot that's a bit taller, i.e., Lindrick height, to get that sweet curve. Think the double has been a bit over played, too. Why not the triple?

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Captoe.
It blends in nicely with the horizontal lines of the double straps. What I really like about this JL in particular is the faux cap toe stitching.

always reminds of a hippopotamus. can't put my finger on it, though.

Last edited:

jammyo40

Reaction score
OP, have you considered a button boot?

DSC_0026.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
always reminds of a hippopotamus. can't put my finger on it, though.

Heaven forbid someone make a shoe like that on a bulbous last.

no worries, alden will never do. imo, in this case the last is not the factor, it's the captoe itself. it interrupts the flowing lines...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads