• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double leather soles

Pandaros

Reaction score
I live in Ireland so it rains hard and it rains often. You probably think this is similar to a lot of other places but the Romans didn't call this land Hibernia for nothing. When I lived in Scotland I was struck by how much less it rained.

But I'm forgetting myself, I'm talking about the Hberno-rain because I've seen a pair of double leather soled boots. I've gone for rubber-soled up until now because I've been led to believe that alongside increased durability they stand up to wet weather much better. In fact, I've had this assumption that rubber supercedes leather soles, but to be honest I don't really know that much about leather soles and especially double leather soles.

If I get these boots, do I need to worry about water getting through the soles or anything else that someone used to rubber soles would need to consider the practicality thereof?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double soles increase the durability of the leather, but are still susceptible to water seepage if they are soaked through. It wasn't for nothing that heavy brogues were originally country shoes - the brogueing originally was designed to allow them to drain and dry after being soaked through.

In general, leather soles are more slippery on surfaces like wet metal and grassy areas (both of which you may still encounter in the city). They will also wear out faster if exposed to wet weather and surfaces like concrete over time, as once the soles are wet they wear down more quickly.

That's where the practicality of rubber ends for me.

Leather soles are better for almost any other time, IMO. They allow your feet to breathe, and I think they feel more comfortable and natural over the course of the day. They are also more traditional and aesthetically pleasing.

For the bad raining I'd keep a pair of rubber boots handy, but for strolling about the city once it's tapered off somewhat, double soles will be perfectly fine. Just remember to let them dry thoroughly afterwards, and stuff them with paper.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Double soles increase the durability of the leather, but are still susceptible to water seepage if they are soaked through. It wasn't for nothing that heavy brogues were originally country shoes - the brogueing originally was designed to allow them to drain and dry after being soaked through..

Hm, I've never heard of water seeping into a shoe through a double leather sole.

Some constructions are better at keeping out water than others, however. A few years ago, Nicholas Templeman provided me with these drawings of a Veldtschoen, storm welt, Norwegian welt, and Norwegian storm welt construction. These constructions stop water from sitting in the seam between the welt and the upper.

unnamed.jpg

That said, I wear regular Goodyear welted shoes in the rain, either with leather or rubber soles, and find them both to be fine. I mostly wear rubber soles in the rain though.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, that's what Goodyear and other welts were originally designed to prevent - a direct passage of moisture into the shoe. There's a definite difference when you have a good welt construction, and I've walked around in boots with single-layer leather soles in wet conditions with my feet still dry.

However, leather soles will eventually get soaked through if worn in the rain or stepping in puddles. It can be mitigated through treating the soles and edges with something like dubbin or a polish, but leather soles will eventually soak up water and cause one's feet to get wet from the inside.

willyto

Reaction score
I wear double leather soles often when it rains and never had a problem with soaking feet but then again I avoid puddles.

On the other hand I have gotten my feet and socks when the uppers got soaked.

I have a pair of double leather soled Veldtschoen shoes and they're the most rainproof shoes I've ever worn, that was until the stitching started to separate :D (Old shoes) then water got in through the soles.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
In my experience, unless it’s badly worn down, a double leather sole will keep your toesies dry in anything short of standing in puddles (as opposed to stepping through them) or a very prolonged walk in swampy conditions. But rubber soles are fine, unless you’re wearing quite formal clothes and vibrant, etc. are really quite durable.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saphir also makes a sole guard oil that is water repelling.

EUtroll

Reaction score
I've never experienced a problem with my jr double soles, but comparing to my longer lasting dainite soles, I'm opting for the latter most often these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads