1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Double leather sole versus single

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ThinkDerm, Oct 19, 2009.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

Hmmmm, triple sole tapering to a double [​IMG]

Bingo!

2. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Don't mean to be sarcastic. at 5 ft 6, any help is welcomed. [​IMG]

Yes lots of difference like durability, also double soul makes you taller [​IMG]

I guess I'll bite. The only thing that affects your height is the heel, and having a double sole doesn't mean a higher heel. I'm having trouble believing this isn't obvious, but try lifting your toes off the ground while keeping your heels stationary. Do you feel taller? If the answer is "yes", than no one here can help you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

For what it's worth, maybe having a double soul would make you taller [​IMG]

3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I guess I'll bite. The only thing that affects your height is the heel, and having a double sole doesn't mean a higher heel. I'm having trouble believing this isn't obvious, but try lifting your toes off the ground while keeping your heels stationary. Do you feel taller? If the answer is "yes", than no one here can help you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

For what it's worth, maybe having a double soul would make you taller [​IMG]

you're aware that the second post you quoted was simply spam?

4. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

you're aware that the second post you quoted was simply spam?

I am now. [​IMG]

At least I didn't quote the signature.

5. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

go triple with cuban. problem solved

[​IMG]

6. mg428

mg428 Senior member

Is there such thing like double leather soled shoes would not crease as much as single leather soled shoes?

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Double sole? Jimmy likes them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. srivats

srivats Senior member

^Ah seinfeld ... that was a funny episode.

9. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Is there such thing like double leather soled shoes would not crease as much as single leather soled shoes?

Singles crease just a tad more than doubles at the get go, but after a while there is no difference IMHO.

10. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

double sole tapering to a single sole is the way to go.
    [​IMG]
    Singles crease just a tad more than doubles at the get go, but after a while there is no difference IMHO.
    - Listen to this MAN!

FWIW all my Vashhhhh are double sole tapering to a single.

11. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Foo is too shy to admit it but double sole adds height.

No, I can attest to having advanced the storm welt/single soles argument, which he accepted. Can't remember what thread it was.

12. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Anyone have pictures comparing a double sole tapering to single vs. single vs. double?

I was tempted to pick up Vass shoes with double taper to single but opted for a single sole, because, quite frankly, I am happy with the look of my Vass with single sole and don't really know to what extent if any, the double to single taper would have on the look and feel of the shoe. I'd only be getting the double to single taper just because it was recommended on SF, and I'm not falling for that. I imagine looks wise, with the shoes on your feet, the double taper to single is undetectable (I suppose like a fiddle back waist - but a thing of beauty I appreciate as part of the craft). True?

13. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

I didn't know that. It's a little strange because they asked me to confirm I really wanted a simple double sole on that pair because the other pairs in my order were double tapering to single at the waist. I did confirm that's what I wanted.

Goyser has 3 stitch with Vass,
    1 hold welt to midsole
    1 hold welt, midsole and outsole
    1 hold welt to upper to insole.
    lmpossible to do other way,
    double sole is crucial in the construction
    3 stitch make extra strong shoe for doubles,
    extra stitch hold crucial midsole

14. brax

brax Senior member

I use single soles on most oxfords, doubles tapering to singles on most derbies, ands doubles on most boots.

15. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

me prefer double for comfort,
    but prefer single for fast walks,
    double for slow walks and lot of standing,
    double sole always files ends up fast

16. motorpsycho67

motorpsycho67 Active Member

I'd never wear a single sole. Just don't seem like they'd be comfortable, nor do they look as good IMO.

I wear vintage Kenmoors. Just picked up my third pair, and they're NOS. I'm considering going to a triple sole on one pair (I love those big tanks!). I'm also going to dye a pair dark olive green, like these old Worthmore longwings....

[​IMG]

17. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I'm very curious to know what contraptions Sarkozy has in his shoes. Rumors are he tries to add about something like 4 inches with his high heels.

18. phailing101

phailing101 Senior member

They do take a while to break in though, and until the "hinge" develops there tends to be more heel slippage (which may cause blisters if the shoes are snug in the heel).

Have others experienced this? I just received a pair of double soled shoes I ordered and was about to send them back for a 1/2 size smaller because my heel slips a bit while I walk.

This is my first pair of double soles so I'm wondering if this issue will stop once they are broken in?

19. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Have others experienced this? I just received a pair of double soled shoes I ordered and was about to send them back for a 1/2 size smaller because my heel slips a bit while I walk.

This is my first pair of double soles so I'm wondering if this issue will stop once they are broken in?

The shoes will break in after a dozen wearings or so.

20. cmacey

cmacey Senior member

You don't feel stones/uneven ground as much through a double sole.

+1! That's one of the compelling reasons I had a couple pair of my shoes made with double leather soles...