• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Enamel Cufflinks - Which Way?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing my "new" vintage, hand-painted enamel cuff links of the double style, but I can't quite figure out which direction they should be worn. I'm wondering if the metal links are configured with the enamel pieces wrong. As the two enamel pieces on each are connected by an arched, metal link, which way should the arch go? The way I have the cuff links now, with the ship design facing out,, the enamel pieces seem to be curved wrong.
Looking down on my cuffs, the connecting links are in the form of an arch, like the St. Louis Arch, and the enamel pieces flare outward from the bottom (arm side). Are the cufflinks upside down? If I turn them around, such that the links are turned to be are cup-shaped, the ships will face me.
I thought the general rule is a design should face the other person - e.g. with monogrammed cufflinks the "A" would be seen by the onlooker and be upside down to the wearer. So right now my ships are upside down as to my perspective but rightside up to the onlooker. Help!
If my cufflinks are out of shape I suppose I might try a jewelry repair person who knows what they're doing, but I certainly don't want the links broken - they seem a bit delicate as it is.
With the kind of guys who frequent this forum I'm sure there are some who can answer these questions with expertise!
blush.gif

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
the connecting links are in the form of an arch, like the St. Louis Arch

Got it.

When I wear cufflinks with orientable designs, I wear them such that down = the side with the ends of your cuffs where the cufflinks are inserted.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay - I'm wearing the cuff links again today. Such a small thing but a bit difficult for me to grasp. First of all, the configuration of my cuff links are just the same as with the very similar Danish pair which I posted above. No jeweler necessary - great. Second, I note one "panel" (enameled piece) on each is stable (entirely attached to the metal link) and the other swivel.

From my perspective, when I look down at my double cuffs, the cuff links are inserted such that they are pointed inward at the tops - conforming with the cuffs. Also, the links are cupped shape. However, in this configuration the ships face me, which doesn't seem quite right. But if I insert the cuff links the other way - turning them "upside down," so to speak - the ships face out but the cuff links, looking down, flare out at the top and do not conform with the cuff cloth. So it looks like this pair was designed for the ships to face the wearer - right? I don't see any other way.

BTW, regarding the so-called "Danish" cuff links I posted a few days ago, attached again here, does anyone know anything about the creator? Again, I'm looking for information on the "G.R." stamped on the metal links of my pair.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
Got it.

When I wear cufflinks with orientable designs, I wear them such that down = the side with the ends of your cuffs where the cufflinks are inserted.

So, in other words, you wear them such that the image appears rightside up to someone else? Someone else can read the "A" but to you the "A" is upside down?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This should be obvious but ...

When you stick your arm out straight and the edges of the cuffs are pointing downward, the arc should be convex.

LaoHu

Reaction score
This thread desperately needs an illustration or two. If I had the skill, I'd do it myself. Anyone game?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photos of my cufflinks didn't come out too well, and it's difficult for me to add them to a file here at work, etc. Here are some photos of similar ones. First one is another pair of cuff links with the same shape, sterling, and a seascape/sun design but the same textural effects exactly. The second photo is a pair with Viking longboats, the birds, waves, etc. Sent to me by this Canadian collector. Same thing except shape of each panel - here instead of the graceful shape, such as the first pair and mine have, this is filled in, so to speak, with a silver pattern.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This should be obvious but ...

When you stick your arm out straight and the edges of the cuffs are pointing downward, the arc should be convex.

Did you have to bring another word ("convex") in, Sonny? Let's stick to "cup" and "arch," please. Cup is like a cup, and arch is like the St. Louis Arch. Looking down towards the wrist now, the cuff links together form an arch, which looks good in that they remain close to the cuffs' cloth. I'm seeing the Viking longboats upside but - what the heck.... Someone else can enjoy the art.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Did you have to bring another word ("convex") in, Sonny? Let's stick to "cup" and "arch," please. Cup is like a cup, and arch is like the St. Louis Arch. Looking down towards the wrist now, the cuff links together form an arch, which looks good in that they remain close to the cuffs' cloth. I'm seeing the Viking longboats upside but - what the heck.... Someone else can enjoy the art.

I knew I would regret trying to help you.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LaoHu
This thread desperately needs an illustration or two. If I had the skill, I'd do it myself. Anyone game?

20070825paris18.jpg

jays-c-jays-headphones.jpg

frown.jpg

miranda-kerr-twister.jpg

miranda-kerr-bikini-twister-picture.jpg

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent. Now we've got some pizzazz here.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads