• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double-duty suits

cosmic

Reaction score
We often hear about the folly of wearing an orphaned suit jacket with odd trousers, or wearing a suit without a tie. But what kind of suits can pull this off? Since not wearing a tie gives a more casual look, and since SCs are also more casual, the kind of suit that would be able to do double duty would tend to be at the casual end also. Finally, it must be something that doesn't look ridiculous as a suit. For example, a bold windowpane can be a great pattern for sport coats, but can look too loud on suits.

So how about this list of qualities for a double-duty suit:

More casual texture/material. Not worsted wool. Linen is a good candidate, maybe flannel, or even tweed?
Patch pockets.
Maybe peak lapels?
More casual colours e.g. mid-blue, tan, light grey, green.

Examples: tan or mid-blue linen suit with patch pockets; light grey flannel suit; green tweed suit; dark navy with a light grey subtle windowpane pattern

The advantage is that you can still use the jacket regularly as an odd jacket for run of the mill situations, but on some occasions you might want the sharpness of a full suit e.g. at an outdoor summer event, or in the evening at a bar or club. Being able to handle both roles gives them an added versatility.

Any thoughts on this, are double-duty suits achievable?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I liked the idea of the double-duty suit (aka BlazerSuit) when I first heard about it, but I soon realized I prefer focused, single-purpose suits much, much more.

I suppose if you had limited space (perhaps traveling) or wanted a very minimal wardrobe, the double duty suit would make sense. Otherwise, I'd just get the proper suit or jacket for the intended purpose.

Last edited:

cosmic

Reaction score
I liked the idea of the double-duty suit (aka BlazerSuit) when I first heard about it, but I soon realized I prefer focused, single-purpose suits much, much more.
I suppose if you had limited space (perhaps traveling) or wanted a very minimal wardrobe, the double duty suit would make sense. Otherwise, I'd just get the proper suit or jacket for the intended purpose.
Ok, but are some 'single purpose' suits just by their nature able to be used as SCs also? A tan linen suit would seem to be the classic example - even as a pure suit you'd probably have patch pockets, and a tan linen SC with patch pockets is a summer staple.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics