1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Double dating

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Ambulance Chaser, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

(Fabienne @ May 17 2005,06:01) Not that I want to defend Ernest, but he did say German was his first foreign language, before English, and since grammatically speaking, that d word would have been an adjective in that sentence, I really think he mistakenly used the German word (spelled the same as the d word in English) that means fat. bald, short, fat men.
    No. Â No one who has read his other posts on such subjects can believe that he confused the German word for fat with the American word for Johnson.
    Well, it's happened to me... I meant "thick" in English and used the d-word, realized it only later.

2. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

PS: it was on a day I was juggling between French, German and English constantly.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

(Fabienne @ May 17 2005,06:01) Not that I want to defend Ernest, but he did say German was his first foreign language, before English, and since grammatically speaking, that d word would have been an adjective in that sentence, I really think he mistakenly used the German word (spelled the same as the d word in English) that means fat. bald, short, fat men.
    No. Â No one who has read his other posts on such subjects can believe that he confused the German word for fat with the American word for Johnson.
    Again, RJ man, you slay me.

4. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Slaying = for F A R M E R

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

farmer = farm = erf

do you want to step on his fries?

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

johnapril,

You are over 1000 posts now. I can safely say that I have understood about half of them, tops.

7. Stu

Stu Senior member

Reminds me of a funny story from many years ago when I was first learning Spanish. I had just moved to Puerto Rico and was on a date with a young lady who spoke no English. She was Catholic and I am Protestant. I was explaining to her some of the differences between how the two churches worship. I told her that sometimes in Protestant churches, the preacher invites people up to pray at the altar at the end of the service. However, I mistakenly used the word for urinate (orinar) instead of the word for prayer (orar) and told her in Protestant churches the pastor invites people up to take a piss on the altar at the end of the service.

8. RJman

LOL... maybe in the Church of Marc37: "Drink this ___ for it is my pee"
    -- "No thanks"...

9. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

(Fabienne @ May 17 2005,07:57) PS: it was on a day I was juggling between French, German and English constantly.
    Reminds me of a funny story from many years ago when I was first learning Spanish. I had just moved to Puerto Rico and was on a date with a young lady who spoke no English. She was Catholic and I am Protestant. I was explaining to her some of the differences between how the two churches worship. I told her that sometimes in Protestant churches, the preacher invites people up to pray at the altar at the end of the service. However, I mistakenly used the word for urinate (orinar) instead of the word for prayer (orar) and told her in Protestant churches the pastor invites people up to take a piss on the altar at the end of the service.
    Did she make a face? I was talking once to a young French kid in the US whose English accent was poor. At one point, he said (I heard): My sister is also married to an American. She lives in misery. (She lives in Missouri)

10. RJman

Having worked for a company based there I'd say that's a fair assessment more than a mispronunciation.

11. Stu

Stu Senior member

(Stu @ May 17 2005,14:07)
    PS: it was on a day I was juggling between French, German and English constantly.
    Did she make a face? I was talking once to a young French kid in the US whose English accent was poor. Â At one point, he said (I heard): My sister is also married to an American. Â She lives in misery. (She lives in Missouri)
    Actually she crossed herself and said: "Ay, dios mio."