• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Button Collars...dated?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double button collars were a bit of an under-the-radar look in the 2003 era but then seemed to be mainstream by 2005 or so. Do you think they are looking dated now or are classic?

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Double button collars were a bit of an under-the-radar look in the 2003 era but then seemed to be mainstream by 2005 or so. Do you think they are looking dated now or are classic?

Classic for long neck guys. Outdated for fashion . I have seen even 3 button ones or even double collar shirts.. fashion
uhoh.gif

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a half dozen Borrelli MTM with double buttons from several years back, and they're still in my rotation. I wear a relatively high collar and wouldn't hesitate with double buttons again.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Classic for long neck guys. Outdated for fashion . I have seen even 3 button ones or even double collar shirts.. fashion
uhoh.gif

I've been seeing these multi-collared shirts and jackets... they look very weird to me.

dasai

Reaction score
It's mostly a fashion-y thing here in Japan, together with double-collars, two-tone shirt buttons, and patterns on the reverse of the placket. They seeped out a bit into the mainstream for a while, but they're mostly bar-host territory. You mainly see them on people who look like this guy:

r1050prizm.jpg

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
It's mostly a fashion-y thing here in Japan, together with double-collars, two-tone shirt buttons, and patterns on the reverse of the placket. They seeped out a bit into the mainstream for a while, but they're mostly bar-host territory. You mainly see them on people who look like this guy:
What?! You saying all Asians look and dress like him?!

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I continue to order them. I just like them for some reason.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They don't work for me.

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
What?! You saying all Asians look and dress like him?!
No, I'm saying that most bar hosts in Japan dress like him. Dyed and fried hair, shaved eyebrows, skinny tie, polyester suit, crappy pointy shoes, and the aforementioned shirt details. The average Japanese salaryman looks like this:
drunk-salaryman.jpg
Drunken stupor is optional, but depressingly common. Also depressingly common are ill-fitting suits, black loafers with sneaker soles, and white socks. Japanese politicians are by far the best tailored of the lot, but they are, as a rule, devoid of character. Some of the newscasters shake things up by wearing moirÃ
00a9.png
-inducing POW check suits with peak lapels and such, though. Fun fact: the average host is so androgynous that I once accidentally mistook one for a halfway-cute girl. Until I realized he was trying to pick up other girls walking by, anyway.
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Is it just me, or does that guy look kind of old? Around 40ish.
I have to imagine that if they're making a living chatting up middle-aged women night after night, they probably don't have too many other job options out there. It's either stay in the business, or end up behind the counter of a Seven-Eleven somewhere.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
No, I'm saying that most bar hosts in Japan dress like him. Dyed and fried hair, shaved eyebrows, skinny tie, polyester suit, crappy pointy shoes, and the aforementioned shirt details...

...Drunken stupor is optional, but depressingly common. Also depressingly common are ill-fitting suits, black loafers with sneaker soles, and white socks...

...Fun fact: the average host is so androgynous that I once accidentally mistook one for a halfway-cute girl. Until I realized he was trying to pick up other girls walking by, anyway.

Haha just kidding about.

I have heard those drunken salary men appear around company dinners and such? They drink because they are suppose to and not because they want to? Dunno if whether that is true, but that would be quite sad.

I have seen a couple of those girly boys over here too when we have exchange students coming over. It is a bit of a weird feeling. hahaha.

Back on topic about two button collars, I have 3 of those and I dont really wear 2 of those that are 'true' two buttons. The 3rd I wear to work from time to time as it seems more like a 1.5 button shirt - it has two really small buttons instead of 1 bigger collar button. I find it quite useful on draining days when I feel I need to loosen my collar - I just undo the top one and still remain quite neat behind the tie.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

I have one from probably 98 or 99. Did that make me avant garde at the time?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads