Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Double-breasted suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, Jul 22, 2003.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

Once again I come to the counsel of the Style Forum seeking it's sage fashion advice...

I recently picked up a suit from a local thrift store, a Burberry black, DB suit, my size exactly (it fits perfect, even the pants are the right waist size, just need to be let down a bit).  I couldn't pass up the price for something that was probabily an expensive-r item and that fit me so well right off the rack.  It's in brand-new condition. However, I haven't seen DB suits worn too often, are they in style now?  If not, anyone believe if they are projected to return?  I know the DB is the most formal of suits, so to what occasion could a suit like this be worn?  Also wanted to add that I am college-age, but may be wearing suits in the near-future for my job. Thanks ahead of time.

Eric

*also, I caught 'Spin City' on TV last night and I noticed that three people in the office all had DB suits on, Fox being one of them.

2. Stu

Stu Senior member

I love DB suits. They look great and will look great at your job. I have a 6 on 2 navy pinstripe and I wear it perhaps once a month -- not often but enough to make people sit up and take notice from time to time. I think they are always in -- depending on the styling of the suit. I would say a 6 on 2 with peaked lapels will just about always be in -- just watch the American Movie Classics channel to see some old Cary Grant movies for confirmation of that. Something with notched lapels though, or a 4 on 2, I don't know.

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I agree with Stu. I think the retail industry makes things "in" or "out" to induce consumers to buy. My advice as you build your wardrobe for the future is to balance your suits between 2 button, 3 button, and db, and also with colors, solids, patterns, and stripes. I'd even have a few three piece- you don't have to wear the vest if it's not "in" this season.

I have lots of db suits and I still wear them...

4. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

always amazed at this question, has come up several times. i don't think the DB will EVER go 'out of style' .. it has been around forever, and will always be a staple in the wardrobe. i hope yours is a 6x2, tho...they fit so much better, and don't droop open when sitting down (i actually just hate the 6x1 button DB suit, and got rid of all of the ones i foolishly bought.). check THIS DB suit out....i only have one kiton suit, but the shoulders in my SB are just like these.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....hosting