1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Double breasted suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Feb 29, 2004.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

The topic of DB has come up a few times, thought I'd put my two cents in on the subject. Goes without saying that a "real" double breasted is 6 on 2 buttons, which give the option of which button is fastened....there are many a cheap (and even some well-made older models) suit that are 6 to 1, which always manage to look terrible. I recently bought a wonderful DB in glen plaid, and realized it isn't easy to find this style of suit that looks....just right. Maybe it's button placement, shape of lapels, and the all-important space between the peaked lapel and the collar (as Flusser also points out....Kiton DBs often have a large gap between the lapel and collar, but I'm sure it is intentional). My votes for the top of their game-- Brioni (regardless of model name; shoulder shapes differ but all look great in 6 on 2) and very possibly Sartoria Attolini. With the exception of custom made, not sure Oxxford pulls off the bladed/ slightly extended shoulders like the italians do so well. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....ry=3001 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....ry=3001

2. rayk

rayk Senior member

I'm in complete agreement that the proper double-breasted suit ought to be 6 x 2; however, I do posses a couple of MTM suits of the 4 x 1 configuration that are also terrific. I've seen many quality-tailored DB suits, some bespoke, that have a considerable space between the collar and the lapel. This I personally find unattractive.  A kissing collar and lapel on a DB suit screams well made, although I know that many extraordinary suits have been tailored to, some intetionally, emphasize this gap.  Brioni creates a fantastic jacket, and I simply love the few that I have in my wardrobe; but what I lust for, and believe to be the quintessential cut in a jacket, is that of Attonlini.  Who can deny that this cut tastefully and stylishly emphasizes and defines masculinity.  These jackets are, while demanding a slim figure to emphasize their finest qualities, the most attractive available. I'm considering the purchase of a  Sartoria Attolini sports jacket (single-breasted) that I've always desired.  I once saw a photo of David Niven in a similar jacket combined with trousers in winter white, solid colored shirt, and Spitalsfield tie: the effect was stunning. The cut of the Attolini jacket is, hands down, my favorite.