Double Breasted suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Drummer13, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Drummer13

Drummer13 Member

I've saw a double breasted suit that I like but I'm not sure how good it will be for me. The suit is black with white pinstripes and it has 6 buttons and a modern cut with flat front pants. The fit is good, but I'm not to sure about the color. Also, I'm in my 20's so this is not going to be a work suit,but rather something for going out.

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

There's no problem with it being double-breasted, but pin-stripes are probably not the best choice for going out, they are more suited to business-wear.

3. landshark

landshark Senior member

The only way to really give you solid advice on this particular suit is for you to try it on and take clear pictures of it's fit.

Personally, I think a DB suit should be nice and snug, and cut a little shorter to avoid looking like an old man.

4. GiltEdge

GiltEdge Senior member

A DB suit should always have pleats, and never belt loops, that will avoid it looking like a fashion piece.

5. Pembers

Pembers Senior member

I disagree with this, I think. In your 20s, there's always a danger that a DB suit will look dowdy, or like costume. The OP wants a suit to go out in so, presumably, part of its purpose is to get him laid. Pleats and braces aren't going to do this, unless he is very charismatic in a very eccentric sort of way. I agree with Landshark that he should find something relatively modern; and I don't mean something shiny or ridiculously short, just slim fitting
    I'm 20 so probably a fair bit younger, but if I were to have one suit to wear out at night it would be solid navy blue, SB, 2 button, with flat front trousers. I'd only consider DB for this kind of thing if I could go bespoke and get something that looked really, really suave.

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Where are you coming up with these arbitrary rules from?

7. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

+1

8. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

There is no such "rule". And in any event, if you keep the jacket buttoned (that IS a rule) like you should, the only time anyone will find out about your flat fronts and belt is when you already are trysting with your young lady- at which point she'll have other things on her mind. :smarmy:

For pieces like this, bold chalkstripes would probably be better than pins but in any event, get the jacket close fitted and no shorter than the bottom of your crotch- cover your ass or you'll look like a girl. Aside from that , go for it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  9. JFKJean

JFKJean Senior member

I personally am not crazy about the pinstripes but if it was chalkstripe then hell yes (the idea not the suit). At any rate your best bet is to just give it a test run in the fitting room, snap a few photos and upload them here. But considering your age, I doubt you'll get a lot of use out of the suit for say another 5 years or so when your friends start to get married and all.

10. Drummer13

Drummer13 Member

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions gentlemen. Anyways, I think I'm going to hold out of the DB and just op for a more versatile 2 button suit instead. I'll go for the DB after I get that big promotion someday.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  11. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Im a bit dubious about the high button fastening your describing.