• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double breasted suit jackets - confusion on button position

ChazzR

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused about double breasted suit jackets. I've seen some where the lapel seems shorter and it appears that the wearer could button the lower and higher button. On other models I've seen, the lapel looks longer and the wearer can only really button the jacket using the lower button. Is one preferred? I actually like the look of the one that can be buttoned higher up. Thanks for the input.

Everybody's dancing
To the farfisa beat
All the girls are crazy
Acting out the heat
Tie and shirts and cufflinks
Well that's pretty neat

Aureus

Reaction score
There are a few different kinds.. 6x1, 6x2 and 4x1 are the most common. 8x4, 8x3, 6x3, 4x2 and probably other combinations exist but are generally rare.

6x1
IMG_0248.jpg

6x2
carson.jpg

4x1
3297.jpg

4x2
3318.jpg

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eek.gif
Those 4x2 and 4x1 have notch lapels!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6 x 1 is good for shorter men because the long line of the lapel gives the illusion of height. Since I'm tall and thin I prefer a 6 x 2. I don't know what the 4 x 1 or 4 x 2 button stances are good for (facetious comment; I really prefer 6 x 2, so I don't know what type of build is flattered most by the 4-button DB jackets).

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attachment 734

A 6x3.
I have a suit like this in "petrol blue". Pictured is a suit by Dege. I like 6x3 for a more formal look but most of my DB suits are 6x2 side vents. Button stance (wide enough apart) and coat legnth (slightly longer) are important considerations for a 6x3. During my "fashion forward" days I did have a notch lapel 4x2. Looked okay but I'm over 6' and don't need such a long lapel

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but my search turned up nothing else. I love double-breasted jackets, and lately I've been thinking of experimenting and getting an 8x4 DB suit made. I know 4-button single breasteds are no-nos, but what are your opinions on an 8x4 DB?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but my search turned up nothing else. I love double-breasted jackets, and lately I've been thinking of experimenting and getting an 8x4 DB suit made. I know 4-button single breasteds are no-nos, but what are your opinions on an 8x4 DB?

An 8-button double-breasted jacket that only buttons at the top row? I can't even imagine.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
An 8-button double-breasted jacket that only buttons at the top row? I can't even imagine.

No, I meant an 8-button double-breasted jacket with 4 working buttons.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like you are getting a military uniform or you work in the NBA.

6X3 would look better.

instep

Reaction score
Another slightly unrelated question on DBs, but since we've got some good people on this thread I thought I'd ask: for 4x2 DBs, I've noticed that sometimes the 4 buttons form a perfect square, while at other times the lower 2 buttons are a little closer together than the 2 upper ones: somewhat like a very gentle \\__/ shape instead of a |__| shape, if that makes any sense at all. Is there a reason for doing this? Is there a 'correct' way to site buttons on a 4x2?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads