• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Breasted Suit Formality

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which is more formal, single breasted or double breasted?

I am curious because I've always thought double breasted was more formal, but someone mentioned it was more casual. I'd just like to get my info straight.

smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
More formal to less formal:

SB with vest > DB > SB without vest

- B

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The formality depends on the function of the jacket. A single breasted peak lapel dinner jacket is more formal than a navy double breasted suit, but the latter is far more formal than a single breasted hacking jacket.

Most double breasted jackets and suits made now are at the very least business formal, and the notion that the DB is more casual is more of a view from the 1930s.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Double breasted is more casual.

Why so? Or is it just because it is.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
The formality depends on the function of the jacket. A single breasted peak lapel dinner jacket is more formal than a navy double breasted suit, but the latter is far more formal than a single breasted hacking jacket.

Most double breasted jackets and suits made now are at the very least business formal, and the notion that the DB is more casual is more of a view from the 1930s.

But is a double breasted dinner jacket more formal than a single breasted dinner jacket?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
But is a double breasted dinner jacket more formal than a single breasted dinner jacket?

No.

- B

rs232

Reaction score
Style is ultimately a subjective measure, governed by personal opinion. Formality is a trait of style, and thus also subjective. Blindly applying rules of thumb is akin to not seeing the wood for the trees.

Stick your two jackets in question side by side - the answer will be obvious.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny

Aren't they on par with one another?

izlat

Reaction score
I think that as already pointed in general DB was considered less formal. However, I think that fewer DBs are worn today (comparatively / percentage-wise) by the *masses* so to many people now a DB is something more *special* and maybe this is why they consider it more formal

Cheers

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Aren't they on par with one another?

Basically, yes. Nevertheless, it is possible to wear a dress shirt and a dress vest with an SB dinner jacket, but such a formal shirt and vest are not appropriate for a DB dinner jacket.

So, it is possible to have a greater degree of formality in the accessories of a SB dinner jacket, making the whole ensemble a bit more formal, particularly in America where this look had ancient beginnings and more stubborn persistence.

- B

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Basically, yes. Nevertheless, it is possible to wear a dress shirt and a dress vest with an SB dinner jacket, but such a formal shirt and vest are not appropriate for a DB dinner jacket.

So, it is possible to have a greater degree of formality in the accessories of a SB dinner jacket, making the whole ensemble a bit more formal, particularly in America where this look had ancient beginnings and more stubborn persistence.

- B

True, the fact that an SB can be accessorized more easily is an important aspect.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by izlat
I think that as already pointed in general DB was considered less formal. However, I think that fewer DBs are worn today (comparatively / percentage-wise) by the *masses* so to many people now a DB is something more *special* and maybe this is why they consider it more formal

Cheers

Perhaps.

Think of it this way: the more shirt shows, the less formal the jacket or suit is.

A vested SB business / sack / lounge suit is the most formal such suit (the rare DB jacket with vest is also similarly formal.) A SB dinner suit worn with a dress shirt and dress vest is the most formal dinner suit, showing most clearly how this form was evolved / bastardized from evening dress wear.

Then, a DB jacket, which should always be kept buttoned, without a vest shows a bit more shirt, in both its day and dinner wear forms. It is less formal.

Finally, an SB jacket without vest shows the most shirt of all and is the least formal of all. It can easily be, and often is, worn unbuttoned, particularly when seated. When an SB dinner jacket has no vest, it is worn with a sash or cummerbund, often with the jacket opened, and that sash or cummerbund is far more casual than a dress vest.

- B

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by izlat

Cheers

I think years of non-SF conditioning had me believe the same thing. Thanks very much guys this answers alot of my questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads